Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF - Geoffrey Basham and F/L FH Phillips DFC

Thanks

Default RAF - Geoffrey Basham and F/L FH Phillips DFC

Hi,

Can anyone help me please. I'm trying to trace a chap named Geoffrey Basham and I have limited knowledge of RAF terms and I have very limited information about the man himself. However I have some dates and numbers, so maybe someone could make sense of it.

33PDC 2 squadron, Germany 1947 X

422 AFAP 399MU BAFO 1946

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in anticipation
    Sandra

Just remembered Handley Page was also mentioned, don't know if it was a plane, a place or something else, hope someone else knows!
    Last edited by Jagan; 17th November 2013 at 03:02. Reason: More Descriptive Thread Title

Thanks

Sandra, Welcome.
    33PDC is probably No 33 Personnel Dispatch Centre.
    399MU is No 399 Maintenance Unit.
    BAFO is British Air Force of Occupation (in Germany).
    A Geoffrey Edward Basham's Birth was Registered at Edmonton in Sep 1900.
    A Geoffrey Edward Basham is noted several times in the London Gazette with the RAF Officer number of 35385 (in the Technical Branch).
    A Geoffrey Edward Basham's Death is Registered in Honiton, Devon, in 1979.
    These 3 may be the same person?
    If you need to really start from Square One in this game then send me either a PM, or email, and I'll try to point you in the right direction(s)!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default RAF

Hello Peter

Thank's for replying to my message, I was just trying to find some info for a friend of mine and I have passed it all on and if she thinks its the right info I will then ask her to contact you.

However I would also like to know how I can find info about my own father. F/L FH Phillips, DFC who was in the RAF he volunteered in August 1940 and was shot down and imprisoned in Stalag 111 (the great escape) in March 1944. I have his record and a manuscript he wrote about his time in the RAF but I wondered if there would be any photo's of him or his crew about and I have no idea where to look. I would love to find someone who actually knew him but know its a longshot now

Regards
    SAndra

Forgot to add he was from 44 Squadron
    Last edited by Tersandra; 23rd June 2011 at 12:09.

Thanks

Francis Howard Phillips DFC - 44 Squadron shot down 18 March 1944. Chorley says he had an amazing escape as the ripcord on his parachute failed, so he pulled it open himself!!

Other crew were:
    F/S H W Carter POW
    F/O J L Gourley RCAF POW
    F/S W R Taylor POW
    P/O R K Bennett POW
    F/S D Curtis (killed)
    W/O T E Dowling RAAF (killed)

The aircraft was Lancaster LM306

There is probably a 44 Sqn Association but the unit was disbanded long ago (politically unacceptable ' cause it was called 'Rhodesia')

You need your father's Flying Logbook and Record of Service and then you need to read the squadron RAF Form 540 at the National Archives!

Hope that gets you started

Old Duffer

Thanks

Default RAF

Sandra

44 Sqn Lancaster III LM306 KM-L Op. Frankfurt

Flt Lt F H Phillips POW
    F/S H W Carter POW
    Fg Off J L Gourlay RCAF POW
    F/S W R Taylor POW
    Plt Off R K Bennett POW
    F/S D Curtiss +
    W/O T E Dowling RAAF +

T/o Dunholme Lodge 1900 hrs. Flying at 19,500 ft outbound, attacked by nightfighter whose fire set light to the starboard fuel tanks. Both air gunners rest in Hannover War Cemetary, though there indications that the Lancaster may have crashed at Altenkirchen, roughly 38kms ESE of Bonn. Flt Lt phillips had a miraculous escape from death in that he unpacked his parachute as he fell, the rip cord having failed to release the canopy from its pack.

Chorley - Bomber Command Losses 1944

John

Thanks

Default RAF

Olduffer

I shall just have to get faster !!!!!

JS

Thanks

Default Raf

Thanks for all the info, I managed to find a record of that night from Bert Carter on the net, although it was in my dad's manuscript but it didn't have so much detail!

I have my dad's record of service but no Flying Logbook, can I access it from anywhere? Would the newspapers of that time have photo's of any crew flying out of England?

Sandra

Thanks

Default Dad's Logbook

I suspect that if you don't have your father's logbook in the family, it is gone forever.

Whilst many aircrew retained their logbooks and whilst in some cases, the logbooks of deceased personnel were passed to next of kin, a great many were retained 'by the system' and kept with the individual's personal records. Over the years, these have been discarded.

That said, there is a trade in logbooks but I've not the slightest idea where you might start to search for your father's. As an aside: Elder brothers seem to be the main culprits when it comes to taking a father's logbooks and medals without reference to anybody. The other 'guilty party is the father's second wife - usually after the father's death and particularly if the widow didn't get on with children of the first marriage!!

As for photographs, many crews were photographed at important points in their flying careers eg when starting on a squadron and certainly at the end of a tour. I have noticed some books to be very well illustrated with crew photos. It might be worth a call to the Dept of Research and Information Systems (DORIS) at the RAF Museum Hendon 0208 2052266 and ask if anybody can advise you as to how and where to start searching. I also think that you should try for the 44 Sqn Association. There is a published book about 44 Sqn written many years ago by somebody called White. Unfortunately, I loaned my copy to a chap, whose father had been on 44, and that was the last I saw of it because his house burnt down!

Thanks

Sandra,

The RAF Museum holds a considerable number of logbooks, but the bad news is that having just checked the list I'm afraid your father's name does not appear.

Brian

Thanks

Default RAF

Thanks for that, I have been in touch with my half brother who I managed to find after my mother died, Frank Phillips was my biological father and he says he does have the log book somewhere - he is my younger and only sibling.

The King's Thunderbolts by Alan White seems to be the name of the book you have mentioned so I can order it online from Amazon. I would like some more photo's really although I have some.

I don't know why its an urge to trace one's past as one gets older, but I feel an urgent need to do it now.

Once again thanks to everyone who has given me some help in this matter.
    Sandra

E=Oldduffer;64554]I suspect that if you don't have your father's logbook in the family, it is gone forever.

Whilst many aircrew retained their logbooks and whilst in some cases, the logbooks of deceased personnel were passed to next of kin, a great many were retained 'by the system' and kept with the individual's personal records. Over the years, these have been discarded.

That said, there is a trade in logbooks but I've not the slightest idea where you might start to search for your father's. As an aside: Elder brothers seem to be the main culprits when it comes to taking a father's logbooks and medals without reference to anybody. The other 'guilty party is the father's second wife - usually after the father's death and particularly if the widow didn't get on with children of the first marriage!!

As for photographs, many crews were photographed at important points in their flying careers eg when starting on a squadron and certainly at the end of a tour. I have noticed some books to be very well illustrated with crew photos. It might be worth a call to the Dept of Research and Information Systems (DORIS) at the RAF Museum Hendon 0208 2052266 and ask if anybody can advise you as to how and where to start searching. I also think that you should try for the 44 Sqn Association. There is a published book about 44 Sqn written many years ago by somebody called White. Unfortunately, I loaned my copy to a chap, whose father had been on 44, and that was the last I saw of it because his house burnt down![/QUOTE]