Thread: Vade Mecum

Thanks

Default Vade Mecum

Dear All,
    I have been thinking (and Brian (Lyffe) will tell you from bitter experience this is when I am at my most dangerous)!!!
    It would appear to me that there are an increasing number of “pure beginners” appearing on this Forum. Those of us “of mature years” know where to go for information and how to do it (except when a relatively high level of computer expertise may be needed!!).
    Is there not a case for a reasonably simple “vade mecum” to be assembled within which all the avenues of approach (Acronyms, BMD sites, LG, Flight Archives, NAs(in the various Countries), Cranwell, etc, etc,) are all laid out with instructions on how to get to them, and what can be got out of them?
    And this is the crunch! Assuming (a) that we can come to some reasonable agreement as to the content, and (b) Ross gives his blessing, there then needs to be a place for this volume. Current Forum logic is that it should go in the “Books & References” section.
    My “Late Day Prayer” is that consideration might be given to put it on this section, as a Sticky entitled “Beginners Handbook – Read Before Posting” (or similar)? It is the page that most newcomers see! I seek a discussion. Any ideas? I simply want to make the "ab initio" researcher aware of where, and how, the various repositories of data can be accessed.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Much though it goes against the grain to agree with Peter I think he has a valid suggestion - the thought that immediately springs to mind are the number of people seeking a relation's service record. In most cases someone suggests the inquirer goes to http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html, but that gets a bit monotonous so it would be a useful addition to Peter's list. As he suggests, the "Books and References" forum is the best place for such a sticky with, possibly, a thread heading of "Aids in Researching Service Careers" - no doubt there's something a little more snappy.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Peter et al,

I think it's a great idea and that it would be of use to everyone and not just people who are starting out on their quest for information.

Despite having been researching various airmen and aircraft for over a decade I would find it a useful resource, particularly when away from my home pc and paper files as I quite often can be. Additionally it can be easy to forget a source or where to go for certain information if it's been a while since you last did so, thus a useful tool for jogging the old memory :-)

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

I remain to be convinced that "Start Here" style threads are used by anyone.

Witness the number of postings that use the quote function despite a fairly short sticky message on each forum index page.

I also dismay on the number of emails I telling me that the board will not accept their .gmail address despite the one liner below where they clicked to begin registration.

How many of you can say you read the instruction manual before pushing the buttons on any consumer goods?

In the wider world I see people walk past the well arranged A5 research guides at the archives to go straight to the bod at the help desk.

The internet search engine that guided the person to this site has also thrown up quite a few suggestions to their query including how to apply for service records yet these are ignored along with any similar answers on RAFCommands to post a direct question to the "help bods".

I feel that it is a two way street. We do not direct everyone to read the FAQ and in return for information on relatives that only they have access to, we tailor the guidance to suit their needs. Knowledge is gained on all sides.

Having said all that I will make such a thread as suggested a sticky on the research materials section for those that wish to contribute but will resist thread redirects to it as unguided post answers on the general section.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.