Thread: 607 Sq crash photo

Thanks

Default 607 Sq crash photo

Hi-A photograph exists showing a No.607 Squadron Hawker Demon K5692 tipped up with the nose in the ground and in a large flat field.What was the exact date of this accident and where was the accident.The pilot was Mr.Blackadder.

Thanks,Philip

Thanks

Hawker Demon K5693 was on a 25 minute flight from Usworth, 29 March 1937 flown by Francis Blackadder. On its return to Usworth it attempted to make a landing too far down the runway. The aircraft ran out of runway and tipped on its nose causing light damage.
    Logbook of Francis Blackadder.

Robert.

Thanks

I have looked through Francis Blackadder's logbook again. He flew K5692 on at least a dozen occasions but he never crashed it or referred to damaging it in any way: no mishaps at all. The only Demon he states he tipped on its nose was K5693 at Usworth.
    The photo of the Demon you may refer to as tipped on its nose, was taken at Hendon. There is no way you can see any number on that one because of distance and angle, taken from the front, you can only see the top. This photo is captioned as being Blackadder but, as I said, he owns up to no other in his logbook. I'm not saying he did not tip it up, he just did not admit to it so I Can't state otherwise.

Robert.
    Last edited by northeagle; 29th June 2011 at 19:28.

Thanks

Default K5692 photo

Hi Robert-Thanks for re checking Francis Blackadder's pilots log book.In the book,"Airfield Focus 78: Usworth Sunderland Airport" by David Charles on page 19 is a photograph of Hawker Demon K5692 tipped up on its nose.It is not a clear photo.The same photo but larger,clear and close up is on the North East Aircraft Museum web site and it is clearly K5692 so exactly when and where did this accident occur?

Regards,Philip

Thanks

I can only state what's above. If this was a Francis Blackadder accident he didn't note it in his logbook. Judging by the rest of the logbook he wasn't guilty of leaving anything out.
    I have nothing to do with that site. I can only suggest that you ask them. Judging by the lack of captions I doubt if they know either.
    Only thing I can add is that the back-seat man is carrying a case: this may suggest that the photo was taken at an Annual Summer Camp.

Robert.

Thanks

Default Dave Charles appeal

Thanks for your reply Robert.I am trying to find the exact date then I can apply for the Air Ministry Form 1180 as I think the location in the photograph is not at RAF Usworth.Therefore I am making an appeal to Dave Charles as hopefully he will be able to sort this one out.

Thanks,Philip

Thanks

Default Airfield Focus Author Appeal Dave Charles

Dave-Can you help to provide an exact date and a location for Hawker Demon K5692 which is on page 19 in your book.
    The aircraft is tipped up on its nose.The aim is to request the accident card if a date is available.

Thanks,Philip

Thanks

Default Demon on Page 19

Philip,

The original is at NEAM as all of the originals were passed on.

I can not recall whether there are any details on the back of the photograph.

I am not in a position to check my notes as everything is packed ready to move house in two weeks.

Drop me a line to Thunderbird167@aol.com as a reminder and I will check in a few weeks

Regards

Dave

Thanks

Default K5692 at Rochford

Hi Robert-I have located an Air Ministry Form 1180 or the aircraft accident card for Hawker Demon K5692.On 15.8.1937 P/O Blackadder made a heavy landing in K5692 whilst in No.607 Sq at Rochford which caused an undercarriage collapse.I would be interested to have this confirmed or is there an entry for this date in his pilots log book?

Regards,Philip

Thanks

Logbook entry records flight of 55mins from Usworth to Waddington and then 1 hour Waddington to Rochford

No mention of heavy landing and no mention of aircraft until May 1938