Thread: Hurricane P2959

Thanks

Default Hurricane P2959

Hello,

I search any information about the Hurricane P2959, probably lost in West of France in 1940 : Squadron, letters-code, date and circumstances of the loss, fate of the pilot.

Thanks in advance

Pierre BABIN

Thanks

According to Air Britain file this Hurricane P2959 was lost in June 1940 and was 501 Squadron based at Le Mans early June. Codes for this squadron were SD. Sorry Pierre, but this is all I can find.

Thanks

Pierre

'Fear Nothing' the History of 501S recordss the individual letter of this aircraft as being 'R', and 'lost on France 6/40'.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hallo Pierre,

I have seen several photos of P2959 on E-Bay. They show an abandoned wreck in the scrapyard of No.21 Aircraft Depot at Chateau Bougon. Minus wings and badly damaged. In one photo there is no letter between the roundel and serial. Nor can I detect any letters on the cockpit side of the roundel, but much of the fuselage skin is missing. However as 501 Sqn. at that time generally used very large letters we should see some trace if they were present.
    Therefore it seems to me that P2959 did not have any unit code or individual letter painted on it before it was damaged beyound repair. No idea how it came to be there, but would love to know too !

Hope this helps,

Martin.

Thanks

Default Hurricane P2959

Thank you very much to you, Martin, Dave and Highgroundsman.

Pierre