Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Czechs and Poles in Bomber Command - Help Needed

Thanks

Default Czechs and Poles in Bomber Command - Help Needed

As some of you may know I have recently completed my documentary Into the Wind. The film, a feature length doc on the veterans of Bomber Command is told entirely in their own words. We have contributions from veterans from across the world. Although the film is now finished I am still continuing to research and their are some gaps I would dearly love to fill.

I never did manage to track down any Czech veterans who had served with Bomber Command, nor many Poles.

If anybody out there has any contacts that would help me find surviving Czech Bomber Command veterans I would be most grateful ( their location doesn't matter ). I would also like to track down more Polish veterans.

Please pm me if you have any details or email me at steve@electricegg.co.uk

Many thanks,

Steven Hatton

PS

For those who don't know anything about the film,

please visit www.intothewind.co.uk or for a clip and trailer...

http://vimeo.com/19204579
    http://vimeo.com/18949318

Their will be an announcement regards a release date imminently so if anybody wants to be updated, please join the mailing list via the website.

Thanks

There are very few Polish crew still alive, recent count of 300 Sqn airmen produced a dosen or so names. There are few veterans of other squadrons, but I am afraid, that you can count them on hands and legs, dispersed around the world. How many have you interviewed?
    In regard of our neighbours, there could be no Czechoslovak personnel still alive. They had only a single squadron, which due to losses and crew shortages was transferred to Coastal Command. Also, mind you, usually a personnel too old to man fighter squadrons was send there. Certainly our Czech friends can provide an exact answer, so watch this space.

Thanks

Hi Steven,

I am afraid Franek is very close to the true.
    As far as I know there are only few ex-members of 311 Sq but from the latter period then 1940-41 when serving with the BC.
    Only one man come to my mind - W/Cdr rtd. Vladimir Nedved MBE DFC who was a Navigator with the BC, survived terrible crash and win MBE for attempt to save his fellow, later trained as a pilot and became the squadron CO in 1943-44.
    He was living in Australia last time I was in touch with him few years ago.

I would suggest you to contact Asssociation of Czechoslovak airmen in UK - you can try it via http://fcafa.wordpress.com/contact/

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thank you for your help so far. It would appear that you are both right and that the numbers are indeed low. I remain hopeful however,

v best wishes,

Steve

Thanks

Hopeful for?

Thanks

I suppose Franek that Steve is hoping that somewhere will appear a Czech or Polish bomber airmen unknown to us in his ninetieth who will be able to tell him the story. But this opportunity was unfortunately missed 5-10 years ago..

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Sorted already, guys;)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
    Hopeful for?
    Hopeful that somebody may have additional contacts. Very kindly some people have come forward with some excellent contacts and so some interviews have already been arranged.

with thanks,

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    I suppose Franek that Steve is hoping that somewhere will appear a Czech or Polish bomber airmen unknown to us in his ninetieth who will be able to tell him the story. But this opportunity was unfortunately missed 5-10 years ago..

Pavel
    I wish I would have had been in a position to begin this project 5-10 years ago but unfortunately not. However, quite a few names have been provided and thank you to everyone in this thread and who have contacted me direct to help.

I am most grateful,

best wishes

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
    There are very few Polish crew still alive, recent count of 300 Sqn airmen produced a dosen or so names. There are few veterans of other squadrons, but I am afraid, that you can count them on hands and legs, dispersed around the world. How many have you interviewed?
    In regard of our neighbours, there could be no Czechoslovak personnel still alive. They had only a single squadron, which due to losses and crew shortages was transferred to Coastal Command. Also, mind you, usually a personnel too old to man fighter squadrons was send there. Certainly our Czech friends can provide an exact answer, so watch this space.
    Apologies Franek, I missed your question. If you mean how many Polish veterans have I interviewed then so far, only one. Czechs, none so far and if you mean Bomber Command veterans in total, then over 50. Around half of those appear in the documentary. These include veterans from NZ, Australia, Poland, Trinidad, Canada and Guyana.

best wishes

Steve