Thread: Plt Off Leonard Sinclair Bradburn

Thanks

Default Plt Off Leonard Sinclair Bradburn

Leonard Sinclair BRADBURN was a Pilot Officer in the Royal Air Force who died on 29th April 1941. He is buried at Plymyard Cemetery, Bromborough, Cheshire. His home address was 29, St Johnís Road, Eastham, Cheshire. He may have been born in Southern Rhodesia.

Can anyone tell me anything about him?

His place of death was given as Sandleigh Estate, St. Helen Without, Abingdon, Berkshire. Does anyone recognise this place as having any RAF connection?

Thanks

Commissioned Plt Off (62294) RAFVR (not RAF!) GD Branch from LAC (778237) on 12 Feb 41. 778237 is in the block for Enlistments in Rhodesia after Jun 1940. Death registered in the Abingdon District (Ref 2c 673). A copy of the DC should give Cause, and precise Location, of Death. The Flight archives give him as KOAS.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 30th June 2011 at 12:51.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

He was killed whilst flying in Whitley V, P4939 of No 10 OTU, which crashed shortly after take off on a night flying practice flight.

Malcolm

Thanks

Default Plt Off Leonard Sinclair Bradburn

Thanks Peter - that is useful.

David

Thanks

Suggest

29.4.41 Whitley V P4939 10 OTU 0,5 m NW of Abingdon Crashed on Take Off ??

Thanks

Paul,
    Did P4939 impact 0.5 miles NW of Abingdon village, or 0.5 miles NW of Abingdon a/f? There was a light Eastlerly wind that night. Therefore they would (should?!) have taken off on the easterly runway (07, or 09, accounts vary!). If it was 0.5 miles NW of Abingdon village then that's just off the end of that runway. However, if the impact point was 0.5 miles NW of the airfield (and the Parish/geographical details seem to indicate such - St Helen Without Parish was to the West of Abingdon a/f), then he must have hauled it off, found he had a problem, and was on a left-hand circuit to get it back down into Abingdon as soon as possible!
    Or does that not add up?
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter

Above it is stated that his place of death was given as Sandleigh Estate, St. Helen Without, Abingdon, Berkshire. "

My info wa from Air Britain - I suspect (looking at Google Maps) that it is S/W of airfield (probably just outside boundary) and 0.5 m NW of Abingdon village

Thanks

We may be getting a bit closer! In the village of Wootton (just north of Abingdon airfield) - in the parish of St Helen Without - there is a Sandleigh Road at OS NGR SP 47106 01095. The 1947 OS map shows some housing development in that area, and it appears too 'regular' in spacing to have been an 'old' village. My guess is that the location is where the Sandleigh Estate (pre-war) had been and was no longer - and its previous existence is commemorated with a street name.
    Interestingly, the airfield itself is still not shown on the 1947 OS map!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default Leonard Sinclair Bradburn

I believe Leonard was my mother's cousin.
    The 'Sinclair' was his mother's maiden name. She, my great aunt Jessie, lived in Newton-le -Willows, North West England. Leonard was her only child.
    I don't understand the Rhodesian connection. Can anyone explain how this came into the equation? If it is the same person I believe him to be, he wasn't born there. Perhaps he visited. Sadly there is no one left to ask.
    Libby