Thread: South African Air Force 1939-42

Thanks

Default South African Air Force 1939-42

I am currently researching losses to training aircraft operated in South Africa between 1939 and 1942.

I have all the aircraft serials and types required and a list of the fatal casualties and in many cases the crew lists for less serious incidents. For those involving losses of RAF personnel in training, I have (for the most part) the summary accident cards: RAF Forms 1180, obtained from the RAF Museum.

My problem is that there are significant gaps in the unit to which the aircraft were allocated, the location of the accidents and even the root cause of the loss.

I have been greatly assisted by reference to: "85 Years of the South African Air Force" compiled by Winston Brent but I have been unable to find an on-line source which might help fill the gaps. Additionally, I have also been unable to identify anybody who might be prepared to collaborate with me to obtain this information.

If anybody can provide pointers to sources of information, I should be grateful.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin
    Another book which may help is "Squadrons of the South African Airforce and their aircraft 1920-2005 "
    by Steven Mclean
    ISBN 0-9584929-4-8

My research is mainly 31 Sqdn SAAF 1944 at Celone, Foggia ,Italy

Anne

Thanks

Anne,

Thank you for that advice - book already on the shelf!

Have you a copy of; "The Men Who Went To Warsaw" by Lawreance Isemonger? It has a lot to say about the two SAAF Liberator squadrons.

Colin

Thanks

Colin
    Yes, I do. It's very useful. I exchanged letters with Lawrence Isemonger.He died a died a few years ago.
    The story is that before the book was written he lent some photos and diaries to someone who never returned them so the moral is to keep all documents close until " your " book is written !

Thank you
    Anne