Thread: RAF Group (etc) units?

Thanks

Default RAF Group (etc) units?

Hi All

Does anyone know please if there is a reliable website out there (or easily-accessible / not-too-expensive book perhaps) that would show what Wings, Groups, or even Commands or Air Force individual squadrons or units belonged to during WWII?

Not for the 'easy' ones (eg Bomber Command's squadrons) for which there is a lot of reference works, but for other maybe less well known squadrons or units which perhaps swapped around - or for example Sqns in Fighter Command (not my speciality), 2 TAF or ADGB etc.

I can think of maybe Air-Britain's books (which I don't have), but was wondering is there's a suitable website instead that would tell me 'On such-and-such a date, XYZ Sqn belonged to AB Wing / CD Group / EF Command', or whatever?

All ideas gratefully received

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Big question - no single answer!!

Start with RAFWEB and take out a subscription. This site is a gold mine (hope Ross won't tell me off for this but I'm only answering a question).

Books remain, for me at least, a valuable source and Jefford's "RAF Squadrons" and Delve's "Source Book of the RAF" both contain much information.

The trick will be to match a squadron with a wing or group on any given date. In some cases, changes of higher command took place fairly frequently, particularly during periods of rapid expansion or drawdown. At the end of the war, squadron numbers were being swapped around at a bewildering rate.

When the rest wake up, there will be loads of other ideas coming your way.

Old Duffer (earlybird dog walker)

Thanks

I would recommend:

'Flying Units of the RAF' by Alan Lake (This history of all the flying units in the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Air Force devotes a substantial proportion to a detailed examination of those units that have often been overlooked), and

'RAF Flying Training and Support Units Since 1915' by Ray Sturtivant, James J. Halley, John F. Hamlin. (336 page A4 hardback gives details of all known Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force support flying units from 1912-2007. 8000 separate entries, potted histories of all known flying units other than numbered squadrons. significant First World War material. 200 black & white photographs. Astonishing work of reference, easy to use - Cross & Cockade International Journal.)

Both available on Amazon and both a font of useful information.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default RAF organisations

OK, many thanks guys. A few ideas there.

I think 'RAF Flying Training & Support Units' is a definite one to get. I've wondered about that one for a while, so you've persuaded me. I'll tell Mrs H that it's all your fault! :-)

And then maybe the other ones too ...

Like Old Duffer says, maybe no simple, comprehensive, organisational reference book, but these might well help.

Cheers

Ian