Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgts. George Dunn/Ferris Newton - Bale out over Scotland

Thanks

Default Sgts. George Dunn/Ferris Newton - Bale out over Scotland

Hi All,

In Max Hastings' book, 'Bomber Command' page 212, he writes of an account from Ferris Newtons diary of baling out of a doomed Wellington over Scotland whilst with an OTU. Since they joined 76 Squadron in early May 1943 this accident would have been presumably between January and May 1943 but I cannot find any reference to it in Chorleys BCL v7. Can anyone help identifying this accident?

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

Thanks

If it was in early 1943 a candidate would be T2713 of No.20 OTU, abandoned near Ladybank 10-1-43. The ORB only records the fatality and the pilot (in a later entry).
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks for that.

Newtons regular crew with 76 Squadron was Dunn, Maitland, McCadden, Todd, Scrivner and Dean none of which are mentioned in BCLs for 10/01/1943. However, being the flight engineer, wouldn't Sgt. Ferris Newton have joined the crew at the HCU rather than the OTU?

Russ

Thanks

I have the paperback issue of the book, so there you have the account by Ferris Newton on the pages 251 and 252.

You can still find "The Old Ball" on Brownberrie Lane, Horsforth, Leeds.

http://www.pub-explorer.com/thepubs/oldballhorsforth.htm

Have studied a little in the Newton familly, where landlord Ferris Newton is mentioned.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200266_62105960&DI SPLAY=FULL

Best regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Yes, as Flight Engineer he would normally have crewed up at HCU straight from his technical training.

Having been at an OTU flying Wellingtons over Scotland suggests he may have been from a crew which was broken up following the loss of crew members. The pilot of T2713 suffered a spinal injury so would have been off any flying duties for a long time and as I said the ORB (Bill's source) only recorded two crew members so that is all that got published. Any others would only have been on the 765c and 412.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks for your comments,

I will need to look closer at T2713.

Thanks again,

Russ

Thanks

Default Bale out over Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by RussG View Post
    Hi All,

In Max Hastings' book, 'Bomber Command' page 212, he writes of an account from Ferris Newtons diary of baling out of a doomed Wellington over Scotland whilst with an OTU. Since they joined 76 Squadron in early May 1943 this accident would have been presumably between January and May 1943 but I cannot find any reference to it in Chorleys BCL v7. Can anyone help identifying this accident?

Many thanks in advance,

Russ
    Hello Russ

I am Ferris Newton's step-daughter and I remember him talking about this incident. He found it ironic that he made only one live jump and that was over Scotland, with no enemy action involved, Ferris was never one to panic and he used the word 'comical' to describe such near-disasters, while acknowledging the great good fortune of his crew in returning unscathed from each op. His diary is now in the Bomber Command Museum at Hendon. I expect it is in their archives but if you happened to be in the area, I expect they would be prepared to show it to you. It's a fascinating document with an amazing level of detail, considering the circumstances in which it was written, However, my brother has a copy and I can ask him to look up the information you require. Before I do (he lives at some distance from me), could I just check first of all whether you have had an answer already?

By the way, George Dunn made an appearance as a Bomber Command veteran at this year's Festival of Remembrance in the Albert Hall.

With best wishes
    Caroline

Thanks

Default The Old Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I have the paperback issue of the book, so there you have the account by Ferris Newton on the pages 251 and 252.

You can still find "The Old Ball" on Brownberrie Lane, Horsforth, Leeds.

http://www.pub-explorer.com/thepubs/oldballhorsforth.htm

Have studied a little in the Newton familly, where landlord Ferris Newton is mentioned.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200266_62105960&DI SPLAY=FULL

Best regards

Finn Buch
    Although an Old Ball pub is still on Brownberrie Lane, it is not the one which Ferris's parents and later Ferris himself ran with his wife. That building stood on the spot where the roundabout now is and it was demolished to make way for the road changes. A new pub was built by the roundabout but it retained the name of The Old Ball. Ferris was retired by this time.

Best wishes

Caroline (Ferris's step-daughter)

Thanks

Hi Caroline,

I am pretty sure Russ is away at the moment so thanks on his behalf.

I will send him an email to make sure he knows about this reply and I am sure he will thank you himself on his return.

Regards Scott
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McIntosh View Post
    Hi Caroline,

I am pretty sure Russ is away at the moment so thanks on his behalf.

I will send him an email to make sure he knows about this reply and I am sure he will thank you himself on his return.

Regards Scott
    Many thanks, Scott
    Best wishes
    Caroline