Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sgts. George Dunn/Ferris Newton - Bale out over Scotland

Thanks

Hello,

563430 (49255) F/O (Pilot) Philip Charles ANSCOMBE DFM (later AFC) RAF, the pilot of No.20 OTU Wellington IC T2713 on 20-1-1943, was an "Old Haltonian" (20th Entry):

http://www.oldhaltonians.co.uk/pages/rememb/gall/gall.thm

Career details here:

http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/searchcataloguearchive/itemdetail.lasso?itemid=12919

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th January 2013 at 21:43.

Thanks

Default Bale-out from Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hello,

563430 (49255) F/O (Pilot) Philip Charles ANSCOMBE DFM (later AFC) RAF, the pilot of No.20 OTU Wellington IC T2713 on 20-1-1943, was an "Old Haltonian":

http://www.oldhaltonians.co.uk/pages/rememb/gall/gall.thm

Career details here:

http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/searchcataloguearchive/itemdetail.lasso?itemid=12919

Col.
    Thank you for this. It looks then as if the accident happened on 10th January 1943 but if that is the case, George Dunn was not the pilot. Ferris's diary has no mention of an accident on 10th January nor in fact any entry at all on that date, which is very odd. I'll ask my brother, who has the diary, to investigate further.
    Best wishes
    Caroline

Thanks

Hi Caroline,

Firstly, thanks for the e mail Scott, it is likely I would have missed the post when I got back.

Thanks for getting back to me Caroline, I didn't realise that Ferris's diary was in the BC museum but unfortunately it is quite a distance from me so there is little chance I will get to see it in the foreseeable future which is a shame. I am a bit surprised that there is no mention of the crash in his diary, it would likely be a memorable incident, so I wait with baited breath for an answer from your brother.

Kind regards,

Russ

Thanks

Default Bale-out over Scotland

Dear Russ

This is all very odd. I very clearly remember Ferris talking about this incident. He was the ideal pub landlord with his handlebar moustache and unflappable, jovial manner and he tended to focus on the lighter side of his experiences rather than on the terrible tragedies he must have remembered. He told us that the done thing after a bale-out was to contact the WAAF who packed the parachute and make her a present of a pair of silk stockings, much coveted because of rationing and usually to be had from Americans in return for cigarettes. All of this I clearly remember and just assumed it would be in the diary. Yet my brother, Richard, has been through it twice now and can find no mention of the incident. As you say, it's hardly the sort of thing to slip one's mind. Richard lives in Yorkshire and I'm near Oxford so I can't look for myself. But he does say there are gaps in the diary around this time so perhaps there was a reason why Ferris was not completing it regularly then.

This makes me wonder how the story came to be in Max Hastings's book. He borrowed the diary and I thought it was his source of information. However, he did have quite a long meeting with Ferris and my late mother in Harrogate while he was researching the book and I can only assume that Ferris described the bale-out to him then.

Now that I've retired I'm intending to make myself a copy of the diary when I can get to Yorkshire. If you are interested, I'd be happy to make one for you and send or perhaps scan it and email it. I can't remember how long it is as it's over 20 years since I saw it. Now that the war is beginnning to pass out of living memory and into history, I think we as the next generation should have asked more questions of those who lived through it while the chance was there.

With best wishes
    Caroline

Thanks

Hi Caroline,

Yes, I would be very interested in a copy of the diary, I'll PM You,

Regards,

Russ

Thanks

Default Jan 10 1943

Not sure if anyone can help but I am trying o find out about a flying accident that involved my grandfather Philip Charles Anscombe on the above date. He was a Wellington pilot and the story we have is that they crash landed in Scotland loosing the tail gunner whose surname was Frost and nick name was Jack. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Thanks

Wellington T2713 abandoned over Fife 10/1/1943, crashed at Cantyhall and hit house. Only casualty was Pilot Officer R.J. Frost, Air Gunner, who is buried at Eastbourne.
    Hope this helps,
    Alan.