Thread: Hudson FH377 crash site Iceland 1943

Thanks

Default Hudson FH377 crash site Iceland 1943

I am trying to locate the crash site of Hudson FH377 which crashed somewhere in Iceland on June 10th 1943. My wife's Grandfather was piloting the aircraft when it crashed, there were no survivors. The crew's remains are buried in the Fossvogur cemetery in Reykjavik. Our whole family are travelling to Iceland in a few weeks. While there we will be visiting he cemetery, but I thought that it would also be interesting to visit the crash site if we could find it. I know there are visible remains as there are photographs of fragments in situ posted on the web. I have tried to contact the person who posted the photos but have had no reply as yet.

If the crew's remains were buried, presumably there must be a record of where they were found. Does anybody know where I could find such information please?

Thanks

Try The Aviation Museum at Akureyri Airport. The late Ragnar J Ragnarsson did much research into Icelandic aviation. The museum may know where his aviation papers are.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

10/06/43
    269 Sqn
    Hudson IIIa
    FH377
    UA-R

F/O J Coles
    F/Sgt F G Crofts
    Sgt J E Robbins
    F/Sgt J J Hill RCAF
    F/Sgt L Franklin

Op: A/S Patrol, Took Off from Reykjavik at 12:38 hrs

Took off for a Heaps Patrol through positions - Base - Reykjanes - 58 50N 21 35W - 56 56N 25 07W - 56 57N - 26 30W - 58 56N 21 12W - Reykjanes - Base, using a prudent limit of endurance of 6.5 hours. Flew into Mt. Selvallafjall, Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland. F/O Coles and his crew rest in Fossvogur Cemetery, Reykjavik, Iceland.

A bit difficult with the auto translators but the crash site location is described at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.ferlir.is/?id=7504

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks for the information Ross and Resmoroh. I will contact the aviation museum at Akureyri. We knew that the crash site was on a peninsula but had assumed it to be Snaefellsnes as there is higher ground. It makes more sense for the crash site to be on the Reykjanes peninsula as this would have been directly on the route South of Iceland for their final patrol. Does your source contain any information on whether they were inbound or outbound when the crash occurred? I'm guessing this might help us decide which side of Mt Selvallafjall to search.

Will also print out the Icelandic version of that website to take with us. We may be able to get a better translation from an Icelander.