Thread: German loss over north-west Scotland 1944

Thanks

Default German loss over north-west Scotland 1944

On 28 December 1944 a Junkers 188D-3 of 1 (F) 120 based in Norway came down in Little Lochbroom in the north west of Scotland after being hit by AA fire near Loch Ewe. The four man crew who were on a reconnaissance flight, obviously to view convoy assembly, baled out and landed in the sea. However, only one man U/Offz H.Josef made it to the shore. The bodies of Offz H.Kostner and U/Offz W. Neugebauer were washed up, the following day and on 15 February the following year.

Does anyone know the name of the fourth crew member and whether his remains were recovered?

Also, was the aircraft brought down by shore based AA or from a naval or merchant vessel?

Thanks

Hi there,
    From 'The Blitz Then and Now' volume 3,page 495;
    '1(F)120 Junkers 188D-3 (230443).Crashed into Little Loch Broom near Ullapool,Ross and Cromarty.Oberlt.W.Neugebauer killed.Uffz.W.Grundmann and Uffz.H.Koestner missing.Uffz.H.Josaf baled out and taken prisoner.Aircraft A6+FH sank.'
    Hope this is of use,
    Regards,Mark.

Thanks

Sorry for the slightly delayed gratitude for supplying Grundmann's name.

The information is much appreciated.

Regards
    Malcolm

Thanks

The missing name is that of the pilot, Uffz. W. Grundmann; my information is that a male body was washed up at Duncanna on 15 February 1945 and was thought to be probably from this a/c i.e. either Koestner or Grundmann.
    Uffz. Josaf surrendered to the postmistress at Dundonnell; handing his pistol to her. She at first failed to understand his intentions until he announced "Germanus sum!" (quoted in The Aberdeen Press & Journal, 18 September 1987). There were large pieces of the a/c's undercarriage outside the Ullapool Museum a few years ago, not sure if they are still there.

Keith

Thanks

During the war my father ran the ferry from Ardmair to Isle of Martin, about two miles from Duncanna, where the German airman was washed up on the 28 December 1944. He was sent out with the ferry launch to retrieve the body, which was taken by sea to Ardmair, then by road to Ullapool.
    As far as I remember the remains were buried in the cemetery at the Old Church of Scotland on West Argyle Street. I think that there were two grave stones for German airmen, but cannot be certain.
    Hope this is of interest.
    John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbraes View Post
    During the war my father ran the ferry from Ardmair to Isle of Martin, about two miles from Duncanna, where the German airman was washed up on the 28 December 1944. He was sent out with the ferry launch to retrieve the body, which was taken by sea to Ardmair, then by road to Ullapool.
    As far as I remember the remains were buried in the cemetery at the Old Church of Scotland on West Argyle Street. I think that there were two grave stones for German airmen, but cannot be certain.
    Hope this is of interest.
    John
    Thanks for the info, must check next time I'm over in Ullapool though I suspect he'll have been moved to Cannock Chase.
    Keith