Thread: London Gazette citations - originals

Thanks

Default London Gazette citations - originals

Hi

Hugh Halliday has previously very kindly provided me with the DFC citation of my father in law Michael Ffolliott - Foster, service no 1252638 which was apparently published in the LOndon Gazette on the 5 April 1946

Can anyone tell me how to see the actual copy of that Gazette entry - even online? I am blowed if I can find it.

Thanks

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37523/supplements/1738

There was no citation for DFC mentioned in The London Gazette so you have to seek other avenues for this. Hugh Halliday is a great source for this.

Thanks

OK - how do I contact Hugh again please? i just need to know where the original citations are kept.

Thanks for your help - it is the first time I have seen even his name in the L Gazette

Nick Barnard

Thanks

Go into Community (above on the RAF Commands Board), then click on Members Lists. You can then find him this way, click on his name and it will provide you with ways of contact, etc.

Thanks

There is a possible line of enquiry you might follow.

It is possible - but unlikely - that the citation/recommendation for the award was published in the Air Ministry Bulletin. Microfilmed copies are available at the Dept of Research and Info Systems at the RAF Museum, Hendon.

A considerable proportion of DFC awards were gazetted without citations being published but sometimes, particularly where there were several awards for the same event, citations can be found. With over 20000 DFCs awarded in WWII, there are often distinct differences between the 'immediate award' for a specific act of bravery and a 'routine award', probably given at the conclusion of an operational tour.

I stress that my use of the words: immediate and routine intend no disrespect for the recipients.

The date of the award you seek suggests that this was one of the end of the war 'sweeping up' exercises (again no disrespect intended) when commanding officers were being urged to finalise their recommendations for formal recognition and at a time when the RAF was imploding as squadrons disbanded and disbanded again and there was a mad rush for the exits as the RAF sought to quickly reconfigure itself for the peacetime air force.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Just to add some more info to the above. You may be confusing the issue of 'citation' and 'recommendation'. Most original DFC recommendations remain and can be found in the Air 2 Files at the National Archives in Kew, London. These can be copied by a researcher or viewed if you so desire. Citations are, in effect, a watered down version of the original recommendations. These were seldom published in the London Gazette (or 'Flight'), due in the main, to space limitations. What you should be able to find in the LG is the relevant announcement of the award of the DFC. A one line entry with his details and Sqn.

As has been discussed, you can probably obtain a copy of the citation from the RAF Museum at Hendon, along with the relevant bio entry (used for press releases at the time and only usually only a couple of lines in length). These were pushed out as 'Air Ministry Bulletins'.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thankyou all - excellent

I shall contact Hugh to see where he got the original 'citation@ or 'recommendation'.

I just would like to see the original document - I have the text of the content

Thanks again - very helpful

Nick