Thread: Mk VII (7) Flying Goggles

Thanks

Default Mk VII (7) Flying Goggles

Hi all,

My request is somewhat 'technical' but here it is:

I assume that this particular type of goggles entered service in July, 1942.

The first version of the Mk VII (7) Flying Goggles featured a leather strap, while the second version of this same type featured an elastic strap. My question is: when did the second version enter service?

Please let me know if you can help!

Regards,

Fox.

PS: I assume the second 'pattern' (elastic strap) was replaced by the famous Mk VIII (8) Flying Goggles in October, 1943.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

I have been told that the elastic strap was introduced in early 1943, but cannot find any more precise date. Any idea?
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

As you say, the Mk VII goggle was introduced in July 1942, replacing the Mk IV series, and they originally had an adjustable leather strap. The grey elastic strap came in after a few months, so I'd say probably between November and the end of the year. However, many leather strapped versions will have been worn right through until (and after) the end of the war, while its probable that many had the leather straps replaced whilst still in stores.

The flip up sun screen was fitted for those goggles issued in the tropics, but in the UK was issued as a seperate item.

The Mk VIII's came in in October 1943 and were issued well into the 1960s, but did not officially replace the Mk VIIs until stocks of those were used up.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The grey elastic strap came in after a few months, so I'd say probably between November and the end of the year."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for your help.