Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polish pilots on the strength of 197 Squadron?

Thanks

Default Polish pilots on the strength of 197 Squadron?

Hi all,
    I am reading the book Typhoon Tale by James Kyle. There is written that the original members of 197 Typhoon squadron, which was formed on the 27th November 1942 at Drem, were also „two likeable plain Poles“.
    No name, no photo. Does anybody know more?
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Are you sure about 197 Sqn at Drem?
    Poles F/Os Zygmunt Nentwich and Mieczyslaw Wyszkowski were posted to fly Typhoons with 195 Sqn at Hutton Cranswick in late November 1942.

Thanks

Hello,

I can't find either Polish looking names in the Squadron ORB, up to February 1943. Definitively no Polish names in the list of original pilots in November 1942. Or they really have English surnames... Later on maybe, but I haven't copied the ORB for the rest of 1943, as my interest led into Frenchman Roger BOKOBZA, who was killed in a flying accident in February 1943.

Only possibility, than VoyTechn may clear up, is the posting of F/O K.W. HORN for medical duties, from No. 57 OTU, on 12th December 1942.

Joss

Thanks

AFAIK there was no F/O Horn in the Polish Air Force. With this kind of name he could be British or, in fact, any other nationality.

Thanks

Hello VoyTech,

It was a remote possibility that I wanted to check. The other names of officers and NCO pilots from the very early days are definitively not looking Polish.

Joss

Thanks

Well, Joss, this can be misleading, of course. The name of F/O Nentwich doesn't look Polish to me, and what would you say about the likes of Werner Kirchner, Rudolf Kesselring or Florian Martini (all flying from Britain) or Hugo O'Brien de Lacy who was a Polish Yak pilot on the eastern front?

Thanks

It seems that some Polish pilots were send to being formed Squadrons to help with their organisation. This was the case of 195 Sqn, but also 453 comes to my mind. There was a mention in F.540, but as the Squadron was not operational, only a single entry appeared in F.541. If clerk was lazy, and some were indeed, such information may have missed the records. Nonetheless, the question is, why such information is missing from Polish records.
    I am sending some e-mails, and shall see the result.

Thanks

Hi all,
    thank you very much for all answers.
    In the book "Polskie samoloty wojskowe 1939-1945", (Warszawa 1976), the author A. Morgała mentions ppor. pil. Emil Czapski who should have flown Typhoon EK209 with 197 Sqn in the spring of 1945. (not 1942/1943)
    But EK209 was shot down with 56 Squadron 20/11/1943 and I have not found any list of Polish pilots covering the name of ppor. pil. Emil Czapski...
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Well, that is a very old book and I wouldn't consider it a reliable source as regards pilots' identities and unit assignments.
    According to available data there was no 'Emil Czapski' in the Polish Air Force in WW2. The only pilot named Czapski was Sgt Zdzislaw Czapski 782344, killed in action on the night of 2 July 1942 in Wellington Z1204 GR-V of No. 301 Sqn.

Thanks

I have received a reply from Mr Lovell of 197 Squadron Association. None of the veterans he asked, had any recollection of any Polish airmen on the Squadron.