Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCAF Casualties in UK: 18 April 1942

Thanks

Default RCAF Casualties in UK: 18 April 1942

I am trying to find out aircraft details for two Canadians killed in UK on 18 April 1942.

They are: Pilot Officer T M Couper and Sergeant D McLean both serving with the RCAF and both deaths registered at 'Ploughhley' - which really means somewhere around Bicester in Oxfordshire.

'They Shall Grow Not Old' says they were in a Master aircraft but I can find no trace of an appropriate loss on that day which fits the case.

Any leads please?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

From Henk's work on ferreting out errors in Allison's book: T.M. Couper J3742 and D. McLean R66040 were in Wellington P9300 (Dove into ground on overshoot Mount Farm, Oxfordshire), from 12 OTU.

Thanks

Thank you Bill. I was going completely up the wrong track and as I have several Master queries for about this time, I assumed this was going to be another!

By the way, I owe you an update as to how I am getting on with the help you gave me on trainers in Canada: there are a lot aren't there?! Give me a couple of weeks and I'll be in touch privately to tell you of progress.

Best wishes

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin, the unoffical motto for my web pages is "so many airplanes, so little time".

Thanks

Please note that the correct date of this incident was 18 April 1941. One other crewman was seriously injured. He was Sgt Wanek (RCAF).
    Doug.

Thanks

Canadian newspaper article about Couper

http://collections.civilisations.ca/warclip/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=5016403

I wonder if Wanek was RCAF? RAF Casualty list 70 in June 1941 flight magazines includes a Sgt R Wanek under the Wounded on Active Service List, and there is no Wanek listed under RCAF lists or in the Democracy at war lists. That might only be a problem of the scanning.

There was a Roy Wanek born in England in 1915, died 1996.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 20th July 2011 at 09:09. Reason: spellign spelling spelling
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

I am finding that trying to look for information from the records of seven different countries to be - how can I best put this - 'interesting and a little taxing'! However, it's coming together, although more slowly than I hoped and by the Spring I should be able to share with you a fairly accurate summary of accidents and casualties from the first years of the Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

The real trick will be to complete the second half of the job before the Grim Reaper taps me on the shoulder!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

[QUOTE=dennis_burke;65290]Canadian newspaper article about Couper

I wonder if Wanek was RCAF? RAF Casualty list 70 in June 1941 flight magazines includes a Sgt R Wanek under the Wounded on Active Service List, and there is no Wanek listed under RCAF lists or in the Democracy at war lists.

Hi Dennis,
    Do you have a service number for the Wanek listed in Flight magazines? Although the ORB says they were all Canadians, the service number quoted for Wanek is not an RCAF number.
    Doug.

Thanks

They are only RAF Casualty listing, no serial numbers are provided:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1941/1941%20-%201388.html?search=wanek

What is the serial number you have for him?

And no need for the use of the quotes on a short thread like this, its obvious what your replying to.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9289-Use-of-Quote-Function
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis,
    Sgt R. WANEK, 1175607, ? RAFVR.

The reason I used the quote was because, in effect, I had hi-jacked someone else's thread and thought it was polite to use the quote.
    Doug.