Thread: GEE stations

Thanks

Default GEE stations

I was just going to upload some pictures of the Chain Home station at Saligo on the RCAHMS's MyCanmore and noticed they have it down as having a Type 7000 i.e GEE transmitter.

The 1945 map of radar stations shows Type 7000 so is presumably the source of the information.

Articles that I have seen about the GEE Northern Chain show just Burifa Hill, Scousburgh, Windhead Hill and Sango but the 1945 shows a number of other radar sites on the West coast (and elsewhere) having Type 7000.

Just wondering if there is discrepancy here or perhaps Coastal Command had some sites of their own?

MB
    MB

Thanks

Martin,

There was a separate North Western Gee Chain which only operated for a few months in 1945.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brown View Post
    Martin,

There was a separate North Western Gee Chain which only operated for a few months in 1945.
    Thanks, that explains it then!

I'll get back to uploading to MyCanmore then.

MB
    MB

Thanks

Bumping an old thread...

but what is the source of the "1945 map of radar stations", and is it available anywhere?

Thanks

The map referred to originally appeared in a restricted official history, Royal Air Force 1939-1945 Signals Volume IV Radar in Raid Reporting, published in 1950 but never released to the general public. The map is pretty good, but there are a couple of errors in it, despite being an official map. You can consult a copy of the publication it at The National Archives at Kew, but I don't know the file reference number off-hand. There were reproductions of the map produced, but I don't know if these are still available.

Thanks

Hello Ian

To assist the other post by umk2 regarding the Air Ministry AHB official histories written in the 1950s.

umk2 if you don't have one, you will need a Readers Ticket or full ID (to get a Ticket) to see them at TNA, Kew. Generally these A.H.B. histories are mainly in AIR 41 and some publications in AIR 10.

AIR 10/5271 The Second World War 1939-1945 Royal Air Force: signals Vol IV radar in raid reporting. 1950
    Original Ref. CD1063

AIR 41/12 Air Ministry and Ministry of Defence: Air Historical Branch: Narratives and Monographs. Signals, Vol. IV: Radar in Raid Reporting. 1950
    Original Ref. A.P. 1063

AIR 10/5519 Ministry of Defence and predecessors: Air Publications and Reports. SIGNALS (Code No 6). RADAR EQUIPMENT (GROUND) (Code No 6/4). Signals: radar in raid reporting.
    Original Reference AP No. CD1063 Vol. IV

MLRS Books (Military Library Research Service Ltd) have also published some facsimile reprints (70 for Signals V.III is far too expensive) and not the best text reproduction in places c/w with page marks. I don't have Vol.IV, the colour maps in the Signals volume III reprint are reasonably decent, but other b&w maps in the Signals Vol 3 reprint are unreadable.

The RAFM Dept of Research (D.O.R.I.S.) at the Hendon Museum (by appointment) also have some of the duplicates of AIR 41 too, so you could check if they have the volume & map (the only AIR 41 TNA copies and copies of others I've seen at RAFM were Gestetner printed copies).

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 11th July 2014 at 18:09.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses Mark and Ian,

I thought I was subscribed to the thread, but missed the updates.

Given your information I'll see what I can dig up. Unfortunately I can't visit Kew or Hendon.

regards,
    Greg