Thread: "GR" Abbreviation

Thanks

Default "GR" Abbreviation

Hi,
    Just a quick one. I have, in a Service Record, a posting to 204 (GR) sqdn, i take it as being 204sqdn (Coastal Command), but what does the "GR" stand for, General Recconnaissance!!
    Cheers....Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan

You are correct in your assumption

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,
    Thanks ror the confirmation, another question...what would be the duties of a "Metal Rigger" on 204sqdn, and could it include flying duties, the time span is Feb 39 to Jan 41.
    Alan
    Last edited by AlanW; 24th July 2011 at 12:08.

Thanks

Today a metal rigger would be called a sheet metal mechanic. I believe a rigger was a more advanced trade than a fitter, maybe somebody could confirm this.

In 1939 the trade of air gunner did not exist, so some riggers and fitters would do double duty as gunners.

Thanks

Hi Alan and Bill

Riggers and Fitters were equal in status in the RAF, Riggers worked on airframes and fitters on engines. Riggers were initially woodworkers but as airframes developed riggers need ed to be able to work with metal. Flying boats tended to carry extra non-aircrew personnel to deal with technical problems on the air which would include riggers and fitters, they would also be expected to act as extra gunners but not to qualify as air-gunners

Malcolm

Thanks

Bill/Malcolm,
    Thanks for your replies, trying to establish whether an LAC Metal Rigger could have flown as crew, and both replies seem to confirm that. The only problem with the 204 ORB, is that it's one that does not show the full crew listings to the aircraft.
    Alan.

Thanks

Next query!........ If, as a LAC Metal Rigger, Feb 39 to Jan 41, and flying within a crew as stated, would he have been required to fill out a Logbook. The airman concerned, went on to start pilot training in June 41, and his later logbook entries include the statement.... 2nd Operational Tour completed (30 sorties) which is dated 8/12/44. He then went on to finish the war as an Instructor at 62 OTU.
    The logbook has 33 ops listed with 115sqdn, so i'm looking for at least another 27 to make up to 60. Is it possible that they were done with 204sqdn, and how can i check this further, knowing that the 204 ORB is no help.
    tia......Alan.

Thanks

Bumping this one up again as like Alan I find it of interest and hope the forum can come up with some answers to Alan's questions.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

from my past researches I can confirm that Riggers were part of crew on flying boats like Stranraer and Catalina of 240 Sq.

I met the same problem wit no complete crews mentioned in the ORB of this unit. I can say in this case it is "Mission Impossible" to make the definitive list of sorties for a chap if you do not have his Log Book.
    I was able to list the sorties from the ORB and than "possible" sorties but for this you need to check sources like:
    - memories of other crew members (if known and published)
    - Log Books of other crew members (if available)

That is all what I can suggest

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,
    Thanks for the reply, but what i would like to get clarified if possible is, would he, as a Metal Rigger, have had to fill out a Logbook, like the normal crew would have to do.
    Alan