Thread: 297, 298 and 644 Sqns 5-6 June 1944, Operation TONGA

Thanks

Default 297, 298 and 644 Sqns 5-6 June 1944, Operation TONGA

Probably a very long shot but would anyone have a copies of the ORBs for 297, 298 and 644 Squadrons for the night of 5-6 June 1944. They were involved in Operation Tonga and I'm interested in the crews' comments after completing their drops/tugs. I've already ordered "One night in June" by Kevin Shannon and Steve Wright, which tells the story of the operation.

Brian

Thanks

In a shameless "piggyback" operation on this query, may I add my own interest in the June 5 and 6 sorties flown by Flight Lieutenant Vincent James Blake, RCAF (No.644 Squadron) , Pilot Officer Jack Beauchamp Mutton, RAF (No.298 Squadron, later transferred to RCAF) and Squadron Leader William Hodgson Nickel, RCAF (No.644 Squadron).

Thanks

Hugh,

Steve Wright has kindly sent a copy of one of the book's appendices which lists the tug pilots and their squadrons; according to this at the time of TONGA it was F/Sgt Mutton, F/O Nickel and F/O Blake.

They were tuggining gliders Chalk 125, 100 and 107 respectively.

Nickel cast off his glider at 500 ft at 0324.45 DBST, and Blake at 1600 ft at 0324 DBST over the Ranville DZ. No details given for Mutton. I'll email a map showing the Ranville DZ location.

Brian

Thanks

Quick reply before I walk the dogs.....

There is a website about 644 Sqn run by a chap called Sandy Barr - an RCAF pilot with the sqn. This leads to a site about Tarrant Rushton and 298.

Two books: "One Night In June" and "A Noble Pair of Brothers" provide useful information but possibly not to the detail you require.

Old Duffer - down Fido, I'm just coming!!!

Thanks

You beat me to it OD - dogwise that is; I spent another 30 minutes in bed. Thank you for the link to 644, that's vey helpful. The majority of the aircraft listed in the "One night in June" appendix come from 644.

Brian