Thread: Air Combat Development Unit

Thanks

Default Air Combat Development Unit

Can anybody tell me about the above unit?

While going through 101 Sqn's ORB in the late 1943/early 1944 timeframe I see air gunners being posted there midway through their tours and not returning.

Google tells me that it was Air Combat Development Unit (Middle East).

Grateful for any responses.

Dave

Thanks

There was also a unit called: Army Cooperation Development Unit. However, I think it might be: AirCrew Detention Unit - although that might not be its correct name - to which you refer.

Aircrew who 'misbehaved' were sent to have their 'horizons adjusted' at a base, I think near Leeds. This was a corrective training establishment in order to ensure that valuable aircrew assets were not wasted but given a short sharp shock and returned to flying duties asap. IIRC it is mentioned in Max Hastings book "Bomber Command" with regards to some Commonwealth airmen.

Air Combat Development Unit in Egypt was a small group and unlikely to have been staffed by guys taken from Bomber Command in the middle of a tour.

Old Duffer

Thanks

Thanks, Colin.

I thought Air Crew Detention Unit but in specific instances the ORB spells it out as "Air Combat Development Unit", hence my question. At the same time we also see airmen being sent to Eastchurch and I suspect a difference between the two, if in fact it was a detention unit.

Thanks again,
    Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 25th July 2011 at 18:57.

Thanks

Further to my earlier post, I should have said Sheffield (not Leeds) for naughty aircrew.

Reference to Eastchurch is that the unit there was called the Aircrew Reselection Centre. The blurb says this unit was to deal with personnel found unsuitable for the trade/aircrew category in which they were mustered either during training or on operations. This does not suggest that this was a disciplinary unit but rather a place to reassess people who weren't doing too well in their roles.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,

Many thanks for the explanation...and apologies for confusing you with another author.

I have amended my previous post.

Dave