Thread: No. 8303 Air Disarmament Wing March 1945

Thanks

Default No. 8303 Air Disarmament Wing March 1945

In March 1945, Bomber pilot (Whitley, Halifax, Stirling) Group Captain Alexander Vivian 'Tom' Sawyer, (brother of Sqn Ldr HC Sawyer), following a tour of duty as Station Commander of RAF Lissett, was posted to take command of No. 8303 Air Disarmament Wing. Where was this unit and what was its function? Thank you

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 26th July 2011 at 01:13.

Thanks

Norman,

According to the 'Geographical Index of R.A.F. Units, June 1945 (Amended to May 23rd, 19145)'', 8303, along with 8520, was part of 85 Group. It looks as though these wings were made up of squadrons, servicing echelons and mobile detachments.

Perhaps their function was to do with disarming the Luftwaffe?

Errol

Thanks

Norman,
    I do not know about No. 8303, but No. 8403 Air Disarmament Wing was responsible for the disarmament of Luftwaffe in Denmark following the German surrender in 1945, and had Squadrons placed at different locations in Denmark.

It is my impression that other ARWs had similar tasks, but in different locations/countries.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Thank you Errol,
    Thank you Mikkel,

I now have a 'picture' of what the units function could be. First time I ever heard of a 'Air Disarmament Wing'.

Norman

Thanks

Hi Norman

According to the official history "Dissolution of the Luftwaffe" 8303 Wing moved to the continent on 29th April '45 and was based at Traben-Trabarch (about 20 miles NE of Trier). As others have suggested, the purpose of these units was to disarm and dispose of Luftwaffe personnel, equipment and munitions in their allocated geographic area. This included the Luftwaffe flak organisation and the numerous industrial locations carrying out manufacturing and repair work for the Luftwaffe.

Niall

Thanks

Thank you Niall,

Does the book mention staff?

Norman