Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic crossings

Thanks

Default Transatlantic crossings

Hi all,

My request has little to do with aviation matters, yet someone might have some information.

Is there any chance that I can find the name of the ship on which an airman made the crossing from Canada to England during WWII?

I am thinking of a pilot who embarked in Halifax (Nova Scotia) on January 8th 1942 and disembarked in Poole twelve days later. I understand that the name of the ship does not appear in the service file for some reasons such as military secrecy.

Thank you,

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Ancestry.com has UK arrivals during the war on ships but I've rarely found military personel on them, I think that military transports are not included in these arrivals lists.

Can you give us the airman's name so we can check? War's over a long time, I think the secrecy doesn't count any more.

Also, for example, the database for 1942 shows only 27,000 arrivals so that clearly I think is not reflective.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 27th July 2011 at 11:53.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

or in one isolated example, they have named the officers but the airmen are simply listed as.... 51 other ranks! typical

And to top that then, the scanner or machine or what ever did not turn the page far enough so half the officers surnames are covered up and thus can't be transcribed! And I pay them for this.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 27th July 2011 at 12:23. Reason: spelling is terrible
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Fox
    I have a list of troop ships which sailed from Pier 21 Halifax early -April 1943 but only know the ship on which my RAAF father sailed from there to Bournemouth,9th April '43 on the Pasteur, because his airforce friend, with whom he trained, kept a diary and told me the ship's name.
    I wrote to a researcher at Pier 21 in 2006 and eventually bought and received a photo of the Pasteur .

But as far as I know there wasn't/isn't a list of service personnel

I also bought a "virtual" brick for my father F/O TR Millar ---brick website ---
    http://www.pier21.ca/wallofservicesingle.php?id=3240

This is the contact us page
    http://www.pier21.ca/about/contact

A phone number I have from 2006 is 902.425.7770. Canada may be 5 hours + behind UK, similar from Normandy, perhaps + 1 hr ? Google will probably have a page on Pier 21 as it's now a museum .Also there are Canadian members of rafcommands who may be able to help with info about the Pier 21 Museum ?

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 27th July 2011 at 12:39.

Thanks

Thanks to both of you. I emailed the Pier 21 Museum.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Do you want me to check the ancestry.com databases??
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Yes, please. I do appreciate it.

I am sending a PM.

Thanks

There is no shipping return that I can match to William Kennedy Ferguson, this man I presume:
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2633624

There is an Ontario overseas death certificate giving his dates of birth as Feb 29 1920, parents William L and Mary S Ferguson, of Peterboro Ontario. This info is not on CWGC.

The databsae has very few ships arriving from Halifax in January 1942, I can only see bergenfjord arriving in Liverpool from Halifax but I imagine he went into Liverpool.

No joy by the looks of it.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis, thank you for your help. The airman might have come aboard the SS Bergensfjord. Actually, he did not disembark in Poole. I hadn't read it correctly -- I should have read 'RAF Trainees Pool'. In fact, I have no information as far as the place he disembarked is concerned. Maybe Clyde (Northern Ireland), since it was the final destination of SS Bergensfjord, which was part of Convoy # NA-1. Another ship was part of this convoy: SS Stratheden. The question is: which one did he embark on, and did the ships stop in Liverpool before reaching Clyde?

Besides, here is the answer of the Pier 21 Museum:

'Unfortunately the records from 1935 onward are still sealed under federal privacy legislation, family members have a right to access that data, it just needs to be done through a form addressed to Personnel Services in Ottawa. In order to obtain the information you are looking for you must complete the form I will attach and send it to the address specified in Ottawa located on the bottom of the form. Personnel Services will then correspond directly with you at that point. Hopefully this is helpful to you.'
    Last edited by Fox; 28th July 2011 at 07:52.

Thanks

Dennis,

What is the exact date on which SS Bergensfjord arrived in Liverpool?

The second ship, SS Stratheden, must have arrived in the Clyde on January 19th.

Regards,

Fox.