Thread: Help with info RAF 44 Squadron Sgt Earnest Mosey KIA

Thanks

Default Help with info RAF 44 Squadron Sgt Earnest Mosey KIA

Hi I am trying to find any information about Sgt Earnest Mosey 531870 from Squadron 44 that left Dumholm Lodge 5 th September 1943 @ 20:02 to attack Mannheim but crashed on the east bank of the Rhine @ sandhofen

Lancaster Bomber JA 703

Crew:
    RCAF PO Stiver, D E Captain (Pilot)
    RAF Sgt Edwards, C R (Flight Engineer)
    RAF Sgt McNair, A (Navigator) 156914
    RAAF FO Quinton, L F (Air Bomber) 409443
    RAF Sgt Chaplain, K (Wireless Operator / Air Gunner)
    RAF Sgt Mosey, E (Mid Upper Gunner) 531870
    RAF Sgt Davies, R E (Rear Gunner)

Earnest was the brother to my late Grandfather Wilf as A child we knew of Earnest but until the last few days we knew little about anything other than he was a gunner on a Lancaster, If any one could please point me in the right direction to where I might find info to what other missions he may have being involved in etc it would be much appreciated

Your Hopefully
    Mogger Mosey

Thanks

Mogger,
    I have a copy of the 44sqdn ORB, i'll have a look later today for previous ops, and list them here, and if you can PM your email address to me, I can send scans of any pages found for this crew.
    Alan.

Thanks

Hi,

His service number 531870 indicates he enlisted in the Royal Air Force around April/May 1936 !

Most likely enlisting in a ground trade duties, later volunteering for aircrew duties !

Mark

Thanks

Posted to 44sqdn from 1660 CU on 7/7/43.
    Essen.. 25/7/43
    Hamburg.. 27/7/43
    Hamburg.. 29/7/43
    Hamburg.. 2/8/43
    Nurnburg.. 10/8/43
    Milan.. 15/8/43
    Munchengladbach.. 30/8/43
    Mannheim.. 5/9/43.

Alan

Thanks

Default Re: Ernest Mosey

Hello Mogger,

I haver just stumbled upon your post from last year. My second cousin was FO LLoyd Quinton, the Bomb Aimer for Lancaster JA703. I have spent a considerable amount of time researching his fate as the RAAF and the Australian Department of Defense still lists him as MIA, no known grave.

Firstly I was able to establish in 2008 with the help of the RAF Historical Branch and subsequently the Commonwealth War Graves Commission that the remains of all the crew of Lancaster JA703 were originally buried in Mannheim Cemetery. They were relocated to Durnbach CWGC Cemetery iin 1948. You probably already know this but it was quite a find for me!

We visited Durnbach in November 2008. As the CWGC records contain 9 aircrew not 7 there are 2 from another aircraft which I am currently trying to identify. This would at least enable me to isolate the 4 graves, one of which belongs to Fo Quinton.

I havs a lot of letters, photographs his log book and diary which I am currently reading. He was trained in Canada so I assume at the moment that the crew probably only met each other some months prior to being lost.

I am not sure at the moment when this crew was formed but I do know that FO Quinton was flying with PO Stiver as early as April 8th 1943 flying a 19 OTU Whitley from Kinloss.

I would be interested to hear from you, we may both have information to fill some gaps.

Regards,

Brendan Eldred

Thanks

Hi Brendan Eldred sorry I have not being able to log in for a while, I have various bits of in for you may like my I will pm you my email address