Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experiencing ordering for download at National Archives?

Thanks

Default Any experiencing ordering for download at National Archives?

Does anyone has experience in ordering ORB's download (instead of on CD-ROM/DVD) at NA?

I was wondering if you have to download each image individually, or if they are zip'ed or the like. Do not mind not to pay 5 of the CD + mail, but it depends partly on the download options.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,
    Out of interest, which ORB are you interested in.
    Alan

Thanks

Well, I have a long list of musts and a list of really would like, and further a list of nice-to see :-) Among them No. 296 Squadron (AIR 27/1645) following our communication earlier today.

Hence, I am also planning to visit Kew at some point, but will not be before some months at the earliest.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel

I am not sure I understand what you are asking here. My understanding from information provided by NA 2/3 months ago is that ORBs will not be available for download until Spring 2012 at the earliest?

Steve

Thanks

Steve,
    I have ordered estimates for full ORB references a number of times. Ordering the full ORB you are asked if you want to have a CD-ROM/DVD mailed or if you want them via DocumentsOnline, cf.

"We can copy our documents onto paper for you in a range of sizes and formats. We are also able to copy documents onto CD-ROM and/or DVD, deliver them through the DocumentsOnline section of our website, or copy them onto microform."
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordcopying/

For the last ORBs I have ordered, the estimate has been 25 for the first ones, and then another 5 added to the last on the list.

My question was if any of you had experiences with the DocumentsOnline option, and more specifically, if you have to download one file for the whole reference (e.g. AIR 27/1645) or one for every image in the file.

Hope this is more clear.

Regards

Mikkel

Thanks

Mikkel,
    I requested an estimate for copying the 296sqdn ORB to CD, on 24th July, and i'm awaiting a reply. I'll be happy to help out with it, once it arrives.
    Alan

Thanks

Alan, that would be excellent. Thanks. Mikkel

Thanks

No problem Mikkel, have not had estimate back yet, but will let you know as it progresses

Thanks

Default Ordering for download

I ordered the ORBs for 299 and 620 squadrons. I specified download in the options in order to save the postage. Two weeks later I received CDs in the post. I did this twice with the same result. WIN!

Thanks

my (admittedly limited) experience with requesting info to be available for download is the same as Guy's - i'd been checking my email inbox for a link, or further instructions when instead 2 cd's arrived in the post!