Thread: Sqn Ldr Ron Foskett RAAF

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr Ron Foskett RAAF

Hi guys

Possibly one for our Australian members.

What is the story behind Sqn Ldr Foskett's sortie on 6 June 1944 when he pursued a Ju52 to the North African coast and forced it to land at Tmimi in Libya?

From which unit was this aircraft from and who were the crew and passengers, all of whom were taken prisoner?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

I had a look at both his service record and his crash file which are on line at the NAA. There is no mention of the incident with the JU52. I then had a look at the two volumes of Australia at War 1939-1945 RAAF which is the official history of the RAAF in the last war. Again with no mention.

The only reference I could find for him re the JU52 is in "Aces High" by Christopher Shores and Clive Williams which lists it in his victories.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr Foskett

Thanks for the quick response, John.

It seems that the Ju52 was actually escaping to North Africa and carried Polish escapees. I will have to investigate further.

I did, of course, mean to write Russell Foskett

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by brian; 30th July 2011 at 15:13.

Thanks

Default Russ Foskett / Ju52

Hello Brian,

Sorry but nothing as exciting as Polish escapees, it was a German deserter. More of which when I get the 94 sqdn history completed.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

I note with interest that his brother (F/O B W Foskett) was also KIA on a raid on Berlin on the night of 15/16 Feb 1944 he was the Navigator of Halifax HX311 424 Sqn RCAF all eight on board were killed and are buried in the Berlin War Cemetery.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Wasn't expecting anything major but I checked Denis Newton's Australian Air Aces and there is only a passing reference to the Ju52 being shot down on June 6 (as expected).

The Newton book said he trained in Rhodesia so I checked Vincent Adam Winter's Noble Six Hundred (not the perfect source for Australians training in Rhodesia but all I've got) but, sadly, not even a biographical paragraph. All I found was, under the heading of Other Known Members Of 5 Course, Of Whom Full Particulars Are Not Available:

FOSKETT, Russell G.
    21 SFTS
    21.6.41 (leaving Rhodesia)
    M.E. as Sgt (destination)
    Killed with 107 Sqn

Doesn't add anything to your original question, Brian, but maybe covers a couple more references.

Thanks

Slight correction the Ju52 was not shot down, but was made to force land and was captured intact.

Ian

Thanks

Indeed, I meant to comment on that as I was typing the post as I noted the error in relation to what you and Brian had already said. Forgot all about it when reading about Rhodesia.