Thread: Vannes airfield 28 May -5 June 1944

Thanks

Default Vannes airfield 28 May -5 June 1944

Would appreciate advice as to how many raids were launched against Vannes airfield in Brittany between 28 May and 5 June 1944.

Brian

Thanks

Default Airfield Vannes

Hello,

According to the book by Roland Bohn, I find no ground attacks by the RAF Vannes, say not with Bomber Group. Rather, the period of attack trains and convoys, during this period. It was not until after June 10 for the missions of the USAAF in the field of Vannes.
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Association Bretonne du Souvenir Aérien 39-45
    http://www.absa3945.com/

Thanks

That's interesting Dan; I'd been told that John Kington and Franz Selinger's book, "Wekusta", records the airfield as being badly damaged in two raids on 28 and 29 May, so much so that the Wekusta 51 detachment was unable to fly meteorological reconnaissance sorties west of Ireland for some days.

I posted the query as there's circumstantial evidence a sortie wasn't flown on 4 June, and I was wondering if there had been further attacks.

My thanks for your help.

Brian

Thanks

Dan,

Since you are based in the area you might be interested in this quote from the Kington and Selinger book.

"Repeated bombing raids on Vannes on 28th and 29th (of May), as a further prelude to D-day, restricted operations (of Wekusta 51) for several days. "

There's no further reference to Vannes but Nantes was attacked on the 7th and Rennes on 10/11th. All three airfields (Vannes, Nantes and Rennes) were used by elements of Wekusta 51, and since their operations depended on airfield serviceability I've assumed they are correct. I don't know the authors' source but they go into considerable detail so it would appear to come from official documents.

Their description of events for the period after 10/11th is rather ambiguous, but there's no reference to a raid on Vannes after 10 June, but Wekusta 51 moved to Tours on the 13th.

Brian

Thanks

Default Airfield Vannes

Brian,

In the book of Roland Bohn is given the tasks of Bomber Command and Fighter Command, flew over his land is no more dates, it is not about attacks.
    For there are missions against the Ninth AF 28 with the following details may.
    Over 600 B-26's and A-20's bomb M / Ys, naval yards, railway bridges, and V-weapon sites in France and Belgium. 8 aircraft are lost. P-47's dive-bomb SEVERAL tgts in Same general area.
    May 29: Over 450 B-26's and A-20's bomb A / F, M / Ys, railroad bridges, coastal battery, and NOBALL tgts in France and Belgium. Over 200 P-47's bomb tgts in Sami area.
    There is no question of airfield.
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Association Bretonne du Souvenir Aérien 39-45
    http://www.absa3945.com/

Thanks

Much obliged for the additional information Dan; I can see where the confusion has arisen and I apologise for my misunderstanding.

Cordialement

Brian