Thread: Pilot James Milne, died June 8th 1944

Thanks

Default Pilot James Milne, died June 8th 1944

I'm researching details of Pilot James Milne who died June 8th 1944 and hailed from the village of West Wemyss. I'm preparing a background on 7 names from WW2 named on our village War Memorial (see my posting regarding Charlie Hill on http://lancaster-archive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3726) to mount a display in memoriam in the village hall. Any information will of course be treated with respect.

Trouble is, I don't know what James Milne flew, though I was told by a Wemyss villager who knew of him that he flew a Typhoon. If so he'll have likely been involved in the D-Day landings given the date.
    I'm trying to trace his nephew who is said to live nearby but as yet I'm not having much luck, and I'd rather clear it with a family connection before I get too far on.
    Can anyone suggest a way to find his Pilot James Milne's Service details?

Thanks

Wow! An email arrived just 30 seconds after I posted the above, many thanks 'Henrikk'.

"Flight Sergeant James MILNE - 612310 - RAF - 198 Sqn was flying Typhoon JP655 "P". His aircraft was hit whilst attacking Motor Transport and his engine failed. He attempted to glide to Allied lines but was hit again and the aircraft crashed".
    What a wonderful thing the Internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Can confirm Typhoon JP655, of 198sqdn, crashed near Caen.
    Last edited by AlanW; 4th August 2011 at 19:44.

Thanks

From CWGC website;
    "Son of James John Craig Milne and Isabella Johnston Milne, of West Wemyss, Fife."