Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H G Malcolm VC

Thanks

Default H G Malcolm VC

I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me. Do any members have details of the other aircraft and crews that were shot down on December 4th when he won his VC with 18 Squadron.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

Thanks

Hello,

See:

Royal Air Force Bomber Losses in the Middle East and Mediterranean. Vol.1: 1939-1942.
    Gunby,David & Pelham Temple.
    Hinckley:Midland Publishing,2006.
    pp.204-5

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th August 2011 at 19:51.

Thanks

Many thanks for the reference. I don't suppose anybody has a list of pilots involved on the op as I don't have a copy of the book.

Many thanks,

Johnnie

Thanks

Check out a book ....The Maw. Searching for the Hudson by James R Stevens on Amazon Click on search inside you can search pages (pages 122-123 ) there is some info.

also check out http://www.18sqnassociation.co.uk/newsletters/Issue2.pdf

Wray Eller was one the pilots who survived.

Motherbird

Thanks

Many thanks for that. I've actually found a note of the chap I've been trying to research in the book on Amazon. He was called Knickerbocker and seems to have served with 18 Squadron from April 1942 before shooting himself in the foot in late 42 (according to the book on Amazon).

Johnnie

Thanks

Came across this as I am researching an 18sqn crew who was killed a few days earlier on the 30th December 1942 while flying Blida- Canrobert during a squadron move.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1956/1956%20-%200166.html

The book "With Courage and faith" may have the crews involved.

Thanks

Hello,

No list of the aircrews involved in the 4th december 1942 raid is listed in "With Courage and Faith". It describes the raid, but it's just too long to copy it here. The author just wrote "Three 18 Squadron crews and the second 614 Squadron crew survived". The caption of a picture says that Flight Lieutenant Fred ROTHWELL DFC was one of the few survivors of the Chouigui raid.

The BLMEM volume suggested previously provides six crews taking part in this raid.

Apart from the other websites mentioned, one has to rely on the Squadron ORB to get fixed about the IDs of the participating crews.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 7th August 2011 at 17:39.

Thanks

According to the britain-at war-magazine, link below, one of the survivors of the raid was Sub.Lt. Kenneth Wallace an RN observer attached to the RAF.

http://www.britain-at-war-magazine.com/news/hugh-malcolm-vc-%E2%80%93-a-little-known-hero

Thanks

Many thanks for the info.

I have a feeling that Knickerbocker might not have been on the op as he seems to have had the accident with the revolver a few days earlier.

If anybody has copies of the ORB for the Squadron between April 1942 and April 1943 would they be able to have a look and see if Knickerbocker is mentioned at all. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to the PRO.

Many thanks,

Johnnie

Thanks

Default Re: Knickerbocker

I'm pretty certain I saw an airman's flying log for sale on E-Bay just a week or so ago...belonging to a chap called Knickerbocker.....love the name......wander if his family had anything to do with the cocktails....