Thread: Flt Lt Anthony Darling 94 squadron

Thanks

Default Flt Lt Anthony Darling 94 squadron

Flt/Lt Anthony Darling, #42303 RAFVR 94 Squadron.
    I believe him to be a Newmarket casualty missing from our War Memorial. His parents were definitely Newmarket folk, Father a racehorse trainer. I have only found the CWGC details for him. Assume he was flying a Hurrican 2B in Libya since he is buried in Tobruk. as with all in my website www.newmarket-remembers.info, I try to find the aircraft, ser no call sign and details of final mission. I have very quickly hit a brick wall with this one. Any small piece of gen will help me advance

Thanks

his name was published in RAF casualty lists as Died on Active Service (DOAS)
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1942/1942%20-%200538.html?search=darling

So there is a chance that he died of natural causes, maybe illness or drowning perhaps. The fact that he has his 'trade' of pilot listed on CWGC however suggests a service related death but the DOAS castegory might account for not finding an aircraft reference.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Flt Lt Darling

Thanks for quick reply. Through another channel (squadron historian) it would appear that Tony died of illness, so end of search for aircraft anyway.

Thanks

Darling, Anthony. P/O RAF

period with 94 sqdn 6-40 / 1-42 RAF No 42303

Well deducted Dennis, this is what I have for Tony "Horse" Darling.

Known as “Horse” arrived at Sheikh Othman, Aden via Abu Sueir on June 20, 1940 (receiving his final training with 4 FTS) and joined 94 squadron, RAF to fly Gloster Gladiator biplane fighters. Came from Newmarket, his father Sam was a noted racehorse breeder and trainer and his Uncle, Fred Darling, a noted racehorse trainer with a record number of Derby winners. Promoted F/O March 20, 1941. Ferrying duties to Takoradi, May 1941. Became ill with Infective Hepatitis, December 1941. Promoted F/Lt January 1942. Not fully recovered returned to squadron early 1942, but died from Pneumonia January 16, 1942. Age 27. He damaged an Italian S 79 bomber on September 6, 1940. 94 sqdn converted to Hawker Hurricanes in April, 1941 and flying one of these "Horse" damaged what he recorded as a ‘Dornier Do17’ during the evening of September 9/10, 1941.

Ian

Thanks

Default Fl Lt Darling

Thanks folks, that was brilliant, now have potted history AND thanks also to Ian, a photo of "Horse" himself.
    Now to sort out another casualty on our Memorial.........