Thread: Kenley memorial : location ?

Thanks

Default Kenley memorial : location ?

Hello,

During a next visit to London, if time permits, I'd like to have a look at Kenley airfield.

I know there's a memorial I'd like to see and picture, but I can't find directions on the net. The airfield is still active, and as usual, quite large, and I like to find it without having to make the full tour around. I know it is situed near blast pens, but from the center of the airfield, in which direction is the memorial ? NNW, SE, etc...

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss,

I am not living in U.K., but try to follow the links with a set of six photos and an interactive map. Think you will find the Kenley Airfield without problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowermonkey/3170006483/in/set-72157612197427378/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowermonkey/3170006483/map/

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Hi joss

The Kenley Airfields Friends Group has an interesting website here:

http://www.kafg.org.uk/

Looking at the map the nearest railway station is Whyteleafe which is about 40 minutes on the train from London Victoria. As I'm based in Yorkshire hopefully one of the southern based forum members would be able to confirm this!

Regards

Dave

Thanks

Hello

Thanks Finn and Dave,

I didn't make myself clear. Sorry, I'm French...

I know where Kenley is, no problem for me to drive there. It's only that I just don't want to lose my time in trying to locate the memorial, as the airfield is quite big. Sometimes, at an intersection, one had to chose, left or right. And sometimes one choses the wrong way, and has to do the full circle before finding.

I visited the Kenley airfield Friends Group website, but could't find any map of the airfield, even a rough sketch, to show where those blast pens are, and where the memorial is. The second link provided by Finn will help me to locate the memorial, going that day rather than the others...

I'm sure there's a couple of Londoners who might just point me to the exact direction. Or just confirm it's sign posted. Some memorials are, and this one is quite large actually. I remember seeing and picturing a similar one at Croydon, but smaller. And it was a long time ago, too.

Joss

PS : Dave, I was in Yorkshire last June (AGM of 609 Sqn association at Elvington). I even found the memorial at Balkholme for the two Halifaxes that collided in July 1944 ! Thanks to the great help of the Burn gliding club members.
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 8th August 2011 at 20:37.

Thanks

Hi Joss

If you look at this site: http://www.controltowers.co.uk/H-K/Kenley_2002.htm It says the "Memorial stands within a restored fighter pen on the west side of the airfield adjacent to Hayes Lane"

Now if you go to Google Maps and search for "Whyteleafe" and look at the satellite image you will be able to zoom in on the airfield. The memorial seems to be on the south west corner of the airfield

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks

Default Kenley Memorial

Hi Joss

Dave seems to be right - if you look on Google Maps (satellite pics) it seems to be there on the SW side of the airfield. You can then also go onto Google Streetview at that point on Hayes Lane and see the view of the back of the blast pens (can't see the momorial itself from that elevation) from the road. It shows there's even a public footpath onto the site there, leading round to the memorial.

Enjoy the trip!

Ian

Thanks

Default Kenley Memorial

Hello Joss,

Just an idea: why not contact the airfield as it is still active ?

Best regards from Belgium

René

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks to all, I think I should find it straight away. I've definitively found exactly where it lays, using the max resolution of GE and scanning the whole peritrack. There's a little access with a gate, so I should be able to get there and take my few pictures. I also found a "Collard close" near the Surrey Gliding club. Will get there too and take a picture of the street plaque, as I presume the name comes from F/O Peter COLLARD, DFC (90402), a BoB pilot from Kenley who was killed in action on 14th August 1940. He's buried in Oye-Plage so he's also a "local" for me, even if his Hurricane actually came down in the North Sea.

Amazing all the details that one can find, either scrutinising such pictures, or by traveling.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 9th August 2011 at 20:11.