Thread: 238 Sqdn Combat Reports 11 Aug 1940

Thanks

Default 238 Sqdn Combat Reports 11 Aug 1940

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone could help.

I am looking at the circumstances of the death of F/Lt S C Walch, whom I have discovered was Blue Flight leader for 238 Squadron, and who died on 11 August 1940 over the English Channel.

Just before I go ahead and purchase the Combat Reports for that day for 238 Sqdn from the NA, I thought I would be pushy and ask if anyone here has the following:

Name: Pidd, L Rank: Sergeant Squadron: 238 Other Dates of Combat: 11 August 1940 11 August 1940 AIR 50/91

Name: Urwin-Mann, J R Rank: Pilot Officer, Flying Officer Squadron: 238 Other Dates of Combat: 11 August 1940; 13 August 1940, 21 August 1940, 15 September 1940, 25 September 1940, 26 September 1940, 27 September 1940, 07 October 1940 11 August 1940 AIR 50/91

Name: Bann, S E Squadron: 238 Other Dates of Combat: 11 August 1940 11 August 1940 AIR 50/91

Name: Marsh, H Rank: Sergeant Squadron: 238 Other Dates of Combat: 11 August 1940; 13 August 1940 11 August 1940 AIR 50/91

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Thanks

Default 238

I m sure you re up to speed with the basic details of that day; and I don t have the reports you ask about.
    However I do have "A Few Of the Few, Australians and the Battle of Britain" by Dennis Newton AWM 1990.
    This has a lot of detail on Stuart Walch ..............11th August entry says he was leading B Flight, Blue Section of 238. The two flights separated and engaged in different areas.
    Blue Section was Walch in Hurricane R4097, F/O Steborowski an experienced 31 year old Polish pilot in P3819, and Sgt Gledhill, age 19, on his first engagement (P2978). Blue section ran into a large formation of Me 109 and were all lost. Walch s Hurricane was seen tumbling into Lyme Bay and crashed in the sea two miles east of Weymouth. The others similarly went into the sea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeterColwill View Post
    "A Few Of the Few, Australians and the Battle of Britain" by Dennis Newton AWM 1990.
    This has a lot of detail on Stuart Walch ..............11th August entry says he was leading B Flight, Blue Section of 238. The two flights separated and engaged in different areas.
    Blue Section was Walch in Hurricane R4097, F/O Steborowski an experienced 31 year old Polish pilot in P3819, and Sgt Gledhill, age 19, on his first engagement (P2978). Blue section ran into a large formation of Me 109 and were all lost. Walch s Hurricane was seen tumbling into Lyme Bay and crashed in the sea two miles east of Weymouth. The others similarly went into the sea.
    Peter,

Thank you, that is far more information than I had been able to find, the Combat Reports I found did not tell me any of that detail.

I appreciate the contact, and now have an understanding of what happened, and can put these details together with what I have for a fuller picture.

Mark

(Guess I should try and get a copy of the book).

Thanks

Default Sgt Domagala

Another useful source states:

"238 Squadron also took part in this event. Pilots of this unit, including Sgt Domagala, claimed four enemy aircraft shot down and one probably destroyed. Domagala, flying Hurricane I P2989, shot down a Messerschmitt Bf 109, but that was not his only victim...
    ' I was Yellow 2 and A Flight was ordered to Portland at 20 000 ft. Yellow 1 gave line astern but I broke away to the right and engaged a Me 109. Just as opened fire at the enemy aircraft a Hurricane appeared in my line of sight between the enemy aircraft and myself and got the tail end of the burst which was a very short burst of 2 secs. at range of 50 yards quarter attack. My burst went into the left wing of the Hurricane which was smoking and the pilot bailed out. I watched him down and then attacked another Me after climbing (...)'
    The victories claimed by 238 Squadron were paid by the loss of four pilots. It is probable that one of those lost in the battle went under the guns of the Polish Sergeant."

R.Gretzyngier "Poles in defence of Britain"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Another useful source states:

"238 Squadron also took part in this event. Pilots of this unit, including Sgt Domagala, claimed four enemy aircraft shot down and one probably destroyed. Domagala, flying Hurricane I P2989, shot down a Messerschmitt Bf 109, but that was not his only victim...
    ' I was Yellow 2 and A Flight was ordered to Portland at 20 000 ft. Yellow 1 gave line astern but I broke away to the right and engaged a Me 109. Just as opened fire at the enemy aircraft a Hurricane appeared in my line of sight between the enemy aircraft and myself and got the tail end of the burst which was a very short burst of 2 secs. at range of 50 yards quarter attack. My burst went into the left wing of the Hurricane which was smoking and the pilot bailed out. I watched him down and then attacked another Me after climbing (...)'
    The victories claimed by 238 Squadron were paid by the loss of four pilots. It is probable that one of those lost in the battle went under the guns of the Polish Sergeant."

R.Gretzyngier "Poles in defence of Britain"
    Thanks Peter, all adding to the overall picture.

Mark

Thanks

Default Thanks and now for a curly one (maybe)?

deleted - realised the image was digitally prepared.

Mark
    Last edited by BFBSM; 14th August 2011 at 09:51.

Thanks

Default A Few Of The Few, Australians and the Battle of Britain

Australian War Memorial, Canberra
    Published 1990
    Author Dennis Newton
    ISBN 0 642 14991 7

Well worth looking out for.

Peter