Thread: No.49 Squadron, 27/28 February 1943

Thanks

Default No.49 Squadron, 27/28 February 1943

On the night of 27 February 1943 Lancaster ED434 of No.49 Squadron returned from a mining operation under conditions of great difficulty. The pilot (Tickler) was awarded the CGM (Flying); three other members of the crew received DFMs. Two others, through recommended for DFMs, were accorded Mentions in Despatches - a Sergeant Davies (mid-upper gunner) and a Sergeant Webb (WOP). I assume they were finally Mentioned in Despatches, but the commonality of their names makes it difficult to confirm. Can anyone provide the initials or names (and hopefully the service numbers) of these two crewman ?

Thanks

Hello,

A partial answer:

For their actions this night (27/28 February, 1943), Sgt Edward Wells TICKLER received the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal; Sgt's J L MATTHEWS RCAF, G J LOWANS RCAF, and G B SILVESTER the DFM and Sgt's M G WEBB RCAF and W A DAVIES were Mentioned in Despatches. Sgt TICKLER later received his commission. The Lancaster involved, ED434, was repaired and rejoined the squadron.

The unfortunate flight engineer, Sgt D. DOWNING, sadly died from the injuries he received.

See:
    Beware of the Dog at War:An Operational Diary of 49 Squadron.
    Ward,John.
    Belper:JoTe Publications,1998(rep.)
    p.193

NB. I have checked the indexes (and acknowledgements), no joy!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th August 2011 at 00:27.

Thanks

Default Re: Sergeant Tickler and crew

Sergeant Ed Tickler survived his tour with 49 and then went on to serve with 57 Squadron. He was shot down on the ill-fated Nuremberg raid in late March 44. He and I think two others of his crew survived to be taken prisoners. I cant remember which one of the series it is but he is mentioned in the Lancaster at War series...sadly he is no longer.

Sergeant Silvester DFM flew with my Great Uncle's crew on one sortie when his rear gunner was taken sick...sadly Sergeant Silvester was later shot down and killed on the famous peenemunde raid with another crew.

One of the men you are interested in was Sergeant Maurice Gordon Webb..he was a Canadian Wireless Operator and was later shot down on a sortie to Cologne in June 43. He was the sole survivor of his crew captained by Squadron Leader George Storey. He was "A" Flight Commander.

Have a look at the thread for lancaster ED785 on this very forum..his nephew has left a fascinating message..I've tried getting in touch with him....so far, to no avail....but he may find my message.....I'm pretty certain that this Sergeant Webb is the very same guy....he died in 1995...in Canada.

Good luck with your research!!!

Thanks

Excellent - I was wondering if the "Sergeant Webb" described in the award recommendation was Sergeant Maurice Gordon Webb (R101741), Mentioned in Despatches, 2 June 1943, and the connection is now made. "Davies" now translates into "W.A. Davies" and the same London Gazette of 2 June 1943 confirms the Mention in Despatches and provides his service number (937521) - and that leads finally to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission record of him as being killed as a Flight Sergeant (and still with No.49 Squadron) on 18 August 1943 - Peenemunde again. Thanks for the help in tracing this thread.

Thanks

Default Re: Sergeant Tickler and crew

No worries, Hugh.

You might want to try this site.....

http://www.bomberhistory.co.uk/49squadron/Main%20Menu.html

It's run by the 49 squadron association.

Take care...and good luck