Thread: ORB photo's

Thanks

Default ORB photo's

Hi,
    I am tempted to purchase an ORB from the N/A, in which there are a large amount of photographs. My question is, when they arrive on CD, will they be proper photo's or will they be in negative form.
    tia....Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

unfortunately I have no experience with this but when I was taking snapshot of ORBs from the film reader I have them also as negative form.
    There are available good, simply and free of charge picture viewers which will convert the negative form to normal one by one click.
    If you need any more details please feel free to PM or email me.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Depends on the type of original.

Where the ORB is paper i.e. any series other than AIR27 and AIR50 then the image shows photographs as a positive. One thing to watch is glare from the lighting that can render the photo useless if not tilted. From the TNA they are 300 dpi. Higher quality from "personal shoppers".

Microfilm AIR27 that I have received were the original low resoulution negative but as Pavel says they can be turned into positives by some post processing by other photo manipulation packages.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Pavel/Ross,
    Thanks for the replies, the ORB in question is AIR27/1068, 161sqdn, and lists 41 photographs of personnel, crashed aircraft and funerals etc. Pavel, could you let me know which software i will need if i get the ORB, as i've also got some in the 22sqdn SAAF ORB that i've had for a few years, that i would like to look at. On the subject of copying, the N/A seem to have reduced the resolution quality recently, cannot enlarge the files as much as they used to, without them starting to blur.
    Thanks..........Alan
    Last edited by AlanW; 11th August 2011 at 13:01.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

I do not know if this is not an advertisement so I will send you link in PM.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks for the link Pavel, much appreciated

Thanks

Alan

I do not want to rain on anyone's parade but I would say that, if you are especially interested in the photos, I would not have high expectations of the quality from the microfilm at Kew. From my experience reviewing AIR27 microfilm where there are photos the quality of reproduction, when viewed on the screen, ranges from poor to indecipherable. I have bought copies of CRs etc from the NA website but I have never bought a copy of an ORB I think I am correct in saying that the copies the NA makes are "positives" and saved as pdf and I don't think you can juggle with that very much in whatever software you have.

Happy to be corrected!

Having said that if you have any kind of image handling software on your computer it should be able to convert an image from negative to positive.

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the input, have since found out, with the help of Pavel, that the images in the ORB, will not be "usable" even with the software available. Tried it with some photo'sthat i found in the 22sqdn SAAF ORB, and it does not work.
    Alan.

Thanks

Default microfilm

Alan,
    In Canada I bought microfilm and had it professionally scanned by the reel. The output was a tiff and transferred onto CD. Approx $250 (CDN) per reel, estimate about 1500 to 2000 documents per reel. But this depends on subject on reel. Majority of documents were fair to very good for reading, small portion very poor. I had all of 434 squadron done - 2 reels, 6 group notes - 2 reels, and one for 432/433 squadron.
    More economical if a group contributes, then make copies.

Alan S.
    www. rcaf434squadron. com