The Danish Naval Air Service pilot Charles M. Sundby (C.3000) is appointed P/O and T/F/O on 30 October 1940 in the Special Reserve, General List (Canada Gazette, 14.12.1941).

I was wondering if RCAF "Special Reserve" is equivalent to RAF "Voluntary Reserve"?

I have been able to establish the reason why he got the C.3000 service number, which initially puzzled me, from Hugh Halliday's posting on RCAF service numbers, cf. http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?6411-RCAF-Service-Numbers

The reason I ask is, that I am trying to establish if the "special reserve" and "service number" alone indicate that he was enlisted for pilot instructor duties.

Having a significant pre-war experience on flying boats, he serves in the 13 (OT) Sqn., Patricia Bay in 1941-42, before becoming firstly RAF Ferry Command pilot, and later pilot in the Chinese National Aviation Corporation (CNAC) flying 'the Hump' more than 600 times bringing supplies in the Burma-India-Chinese theatre of war. He is killed in an air crash in Hong Kong in 1948 still flying for CNAC.

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin