Thread: FAA - Service Records - Squadron ORBs - record of crash ?

Thanks

Default FAA - Service Records - Squadron ORBs - record of crash ?

Being not RAF, but FAA, I guess I am slightly off topic. I am still trying to establish the details of service of Danish pilot Viggo Pedersen, Sgt in RCAF (R.216293) and Sub-Lieutenant (A) in FAA, killed in a air crash 10 Dec 1946, cf.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9243-V-Petersen-Sgt-RCAF-Sub-Ltn-FAA-killed-10-Dec-1946

I have been stuck for some time and therefore ask for any ideas to get further.

From http://www.naval-history.net/ I have the following:
    FAA, 782 Sqn, Merlin, air crash, PEDERSEN, Viggo, Sub Lieutenant (A), RNVR, MPK
    FAA, 812 Sqn, Gannet, air crash, WATLING, Brian V, Sub Lieutenant (A), killed

From Sturtivant et al, FAA Fixed-Wing Aircraft since 1946 I have this:
    DK544 816 Sqn ('C') 5.46; 22 SFTS, ferry flight, engine trouble, landed OK Usworth, Cat A 6.9.46 (S/L Evans) [? - listed as DK344]; 812 Sqn Eglinton, cross-country Donibristle-Maydown, ditched 2m N of Castle Rock, N. Ireland, Cat ZZ 10.12.46 (S/L BV Watling & S/L V Pederson killed)

Regarding his Service Record prior to 1972 it seems that this was returned to the serviceman/-woman at discharge, i.e. is not hold by any archive. Would that also be the case for people killed in service? In that case, would it have been returned to his parents / next-of-kin?

Regarding the ORB the NA, ADM 207 does not seem to hold a Squadron Diary or Standing Order for any of the Squadrons mentioned in this case (782, 812, 816). Neither have I been able to find references to HMS Merlin (Donibristle) and HMS Gannet (Prestwick).

I would think that there would be some kind of record on at least the air crash, but this NA record seems to be the most likely candidate (if any):
    ADM 1/19961: ACCIDENTS AND CASUALTIES (2): Custody and disposal of effects of prisoners of war, internees, and of missing and deceased personnel, 1940, 1944-1950

Does anyone has any ideas as to how to get further in the search for this airman in the FAA?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

I tried the FAA Museum regarding a Squadron ORB. The lady I spoke to said that these documents did exist at one time, but what happened to them post-war was something of a mystery; some were collected centrally, others were taken by individuals and ended up in Squadron or ship associations - usually the last ship that the Squadron was posted to.

It's not much to go on, unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will have more information.

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks

Jeff
    Thank you for this information.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War