Thread: William (Bill) Costigan

Thanks

Default William (Bill) Costigan

I have recently been doing some genealogy research on my family. I know my father Mr William Costigan was a member of the Royal Air Force during World War 2. He was known as Bill/Billy by friends and family.

My father was born 16th October 1923 in Glorney’s Buildings, Summerhill, Dublin, Ireland. He later moved to Cabra, Dublin. I am unsure when he joined the RAF but on his marriage certificate to my mother Catherine (Kathleen) Flood on 24th May 1943 it states that he was an airman in the RAF.

Unfortunately my father died on 19th April 1998. I do not have a service record number or any additional details as he never discussed this period of his life, however I do remember my father telling my daughter he spent some time at a base near Lord’s Cricket Grounds in the UK. I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on his time in the RAF.

Many thanks

Monica Ward

Thanks

Monica,
    I've found a reference in the London Gazette Sept 21st 1945, for a William Costigan, 1836299 RAFVR, for an award of the DFM. I will send file by email, this may be your father.
    Alan.
    Forgot to say, that at time of publishing in the LG, he was with 158sqdn
    Last edited by AlanW; 15th August 2011 at 08:50.

Thanks

Welcome Monica,

Your best bet is to obtain your father's service records from the RAF. For details as to how to proceed go to http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html . It's quite straightforward, but there is a fee of £30 and you will also need to submit a Certificate of Kinship - the link I've given provides the necessary information about this.

If he was an officer it should be possible to find a reference to him in the London Gazette; I've just tried but unfortunately the website is down at the moment (at least it is for me!)

Good hunting

Brian

Alan beat me to it in respect of the LG, but whilst that will provide details as to promotions and major awards, his service records will give details of his movements and units with which he served. If you take this route and need help deciphering any acronyms RAFCommands will be happy to help.
    Last edited by Lyffe; 14th August 2011 at 19:23. Reason: Beaten to it.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. Downloaded the form and hopefully will obtain Dad's service record.

Thanks again,

Monica