Thread: 78 Sqn Halifax LK 838

Thanks

Default 78 Sqn Halifax LK 838

I am looking for anyone who might have 78 Sqn ORB's I am curious about any details pertaining to this loss November 4/5 1944 on a raid to Bochum. I know most of the crew are commerated at Runnymede but I am wondering if there was any mention of this loss by other squadron aircraft I would like to know if they have any idea what caused the loss fighter, flak etc. . Several of the crew were Canadians including Keith Collins who was my dad's best friend.

Thanks

Crew were as follows,

F/O E A Love RCAF (buried in Venray War Cemetery)
    Sgt G F Harding
    F/Sgt C D Evans
    F/O K B Brooks RCAF
    F/Sgt K C Collins RCAF
    F/Sgt N F Jodrell RCAF
    F/Sgt A J Roach RCAF

no further info sorry.

Chris

Thanks

Hello,

According RAF Bomber Comnand Losses by Chorley, Volume 5 1944, amendments and additions published here:

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/BCWW2Losses/1944.htm

Halifax LK838 crashed Margraten. That's all.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Margraten doubtful. F/O Edwin LOVE initially re-interred 16-2-1945 US Military Cemetery, Margraten (allied plot F) and his grave was between casualties transferred to Margraten from an area east of Geilenkirchen in Germany.
    Who has access to the PoW Investigation Report of F/Sgt W.C. ROACH, RCAF R/83352 ? He was in PoW camps 8B/344 Number 27232.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Welting View Post
    Margraten doubtful. F/O Edwin LOVE initially re-interred 16-2-1945 US Military Cemetery, Margraten (allied plot F) and his grave was between casualties transferred to Margraten from an area east of Geilenkirchen in Germany.
    Who has access to the PoW Investigation Report of F/Sgt W.C. ROACH, RCAF R/83352 ? He was in PoW camps 8B/344 Number 27232.
    Regards,
    Henk.
    Henk were the initials of F/Sgt Roach WC or AJ

Thanks

Leemic,
    Allison mentions in his "They Shall Grow Not Old" on page 434 (biography LOVE) "W.C." ROACH but Chorley in his vol.5 on page 474 "A.J." ROACH; confirmed by Clutton Brock in his "Footprints on the Sands of Time" on page 391.
    Agree with you that it was F/Sgt A.J. ROACH - RCAF R/198169 - PoW Camp 6J (what may have been at Fichtenhein near Krefeld in Germany) PoW-number not known.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Leemic

I can confirm that FSgt Roach's initials are AJ and that his POW number is not recorded. The Sqn ORB shows that the Halifax took off at 1730 hrs and there is no other mention of it's loss. The Station ORB shows that a number of aerial combats were observed by other Sqn aircraft and two crews reported engaging jet fighters. i have sent you a PM

HTH
    Daz

Thanks

Hello, I have just joined this site as my father was ground crew in 78 Sqn. I have some photos of Halifax LK 838 with flight ? crew and ground crew. Are you still interested in that aircraft ??...

Thanks

R198169 F/Sgt Allan Joseph Roach of Toronto.

PPM 1473/49, dated 16 May 1949 states LK838 crashed at Siersdorf, Germany. A subsequent document from 1950 by the RAF Graves Service, Rheinberg makes the point that the exact place of crash is unknown owing to evacuation of civilians due to heavy fighting.

Dave