Thread: Info on flight personnel 75 Squadron that flew on 7th August 1944.

Thanks

Default Info on flight personnel 75 Squadron that flew on 7th August 1944.

Please could you let me have any information on the personnel of flight AAH of 75 Squadron that flew on 7th August 1944.

Would it be possible to detail the construction number of that aircraft?

Jack Payne was a 15 year old air cadet was on the air test flight for the Lancaster during the afternoon of 7th August. He is now trying to find out what happened to the crew who flew on the flight that flew later that day and what became of them in later years.

Best wishes

Martin

Thanks

Hello Martin,
    There is no information in the ORB regarding test flights, but here is what is listed for that day/night.
    7 August 1944. Cloudy at first, dispersing towards mid day. Visibility generally 6 - 12 miles.
    Operational Flying. The target was enemy troops and armour concentrations at Mare De Magne, being made in direct support of the Allied Armies advance in the Caen area. Seventeen aircraft were detailed, all of which took off and dropped their bombs with the aid of markers, and a concentrated raid developed. Opposition from A.A. fire was very slight, but a few enemy fighters were active. One aircraft had an inconclusive combat and another (Captain 150278 F/O G. Brunton) failed to return.
    All serial numbers for the op are listed, but not individual aircraft letters, so any other information might help locate the aircraft and crew, and their eventual fate.
    I'll keep looking.

Regards,
    Wayne.

Thanks

Thanks Wayne, this information checks with what Jack has said and fills in a few more details. Any further information that you can find on this would be very helpful. Jack has been curious on this issue for many years and when I found this forum I hoped it may be able to assist him.

Best wishes

Martin