Thread: Woodbridge - 12th and 14th October 1944

Thanks

Default Woodbridge - 12th and 14th October 1944

Hi All

The RAF Woodbridge ORB describes both of the above dates as being "very busy days" for a/c arriving there ... but frustratingly gives no details of any of them!

OK many of these could well have been USAAF a/c, but has anyone come across in their own researches any (US or RAF) a/c that landed at Woodbridge on either of these days - also allowing for night ops on the nights of 11th/12th and 12th/13th as well as 13th/14th and 14th/15th, I guess.

Any 'starters' or pointers that I could follow-up at Kew appreciated. I don't know if any Night Raid Reports would refer to a/c diverted or landing at Woodbridge.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Hi Ian,

There was one Lancaster from 75 (NZ) Squadron that landed at Woodbridge in the afternoon of the 14th.

14 October 1944. Operations. Attack against Duisburg. Thirty one aircraft took off at dawn as detailed to attack the above target. Except for one aircraft which returned early, all aircraft dropped their bombs in the built up areas of Duisburg which was identified visually and with the aid of markers. A moderate heavy A.A. barrage was encountered, and a few of our aircraft suffered minor damage and one aircraft was damaged in the bomb bay which necessitated it landing at Woodbridge on return.

The ORB doesn't mention which aircraft it was though.

Regards,
    Wayne.

Thanks

Default Woodbridge

Hi Wayne

I haven't studied 75 Sqn's ORB very much but from the bit I once looked at, the raid comments weren't allocated against specific a/c but were just given in a single paragraph instead. Like you say: that doesn't help in identifying individual a/c.

I thought the Duisberg ops were likely candidates. BCWD says the RAF and USAAF launched over 3,200 a/c against the place in 2 raids (one daytime and another that same evening) so it's likely that many of them may have come back to Woodbridge.

One a/c doesn't quite account for the two "very busy days" that they recorded ... but it's a start! ;-)

So, many thanks again for your input.

Ian

Thanks

Hi Ian:

Surprisingly perhaps, no Lancaster write-offs at Woodbridge on the dates you quote. However, two Halifax a/c -

NP738 432 Sqn Hit tree and a cottage at Hollesley, 1/2 mile from ELG. One crewman KIA by flak, 2 injured in crash.

NP935 415 Sqn Crash-landed at Woodbridge on return from Wanne Eickel. 2 RCAF crewmen KIA (+ 13.10.44).

Roger Freeman in MEWD makes no mention of any 8th USAAF a/c crashes at/near Woodbridge on 12 Oct 1944

Hope it helps!

Regards,

BC

Thanks

Default Woodbridge

Hi Bob, thanks for those two extra cases. Maybe looking at those will lead me on to some more.

There was a comment in the Station ORB about the a/c which crashed onto the cottage, but it didn't say which a/c or the location. I was over in Suffolk on summer hols a few weeks ago and went and took a look at Woodbridge while I was in the region. Very interesting, even tho' it's very different now from what it would have been like then. But it was worth going, to see the size of the place and its setting.

Thanks again

Ian

ps You might recall that some time ago you kindly sent me a copy of an "FD1" Report from Woodbridge (used when they fired-up FIDO, there or on the other FIDO-equipped airfields). I found that those are kept, not at Kew but at the IWM, Lambeth. In case that might be of interest for your own researches.

Cheers