Thread: orb's 102 squadron 15/3/45

Thanks

Default orb's 102 squadron 15/3/45

The following is quoted from a crew member (radar navigator) of 35 Squadron (pathfinders Graveley).
    I believe DY-N was flying from Pocklington as part of 102 squadron, 4 group.
    Can anyone confirm this and does anyone have the orb for 15/3/45 covering 102 squadron activities?
    I would like to identify both the aircraft and its crew.

A typical case - an operation on Bottrop in the Ruhr where the target was the Matthias Stinnes benzol plant (March 15-1945). We were assigned as Deputy Master Bomber so we had to orbit the target area until the raid was completed. On the way back we caught up with a Halifax (DY N) limping along on three engines with part of its tail plane shot away. The pilot was obviously having difficulty maintaining a steady course and as such would be an easy prey to marauding German fighters. There was no hope of getting back to its base at Pocklington so it was making for Manston. At once Kiwi intimated that he would follow the plane to provide support and to radio air-sea rescue if it happened to come down in the sea. From time ti time the gunners of the Halifax gave us a wave as if to acknowledge our help. When Manston was reached the Halifax swung viciously off the runway and thankfully the crew were seen to extricate themselves before the inevitable fire.What should have been a 4 hour trip was 5hours but I remember we were pleased to have helped another crew.

Many thanks in anticipation.
    Paul.

Thanks

RG498 - Pilot F/Lt. W.L.M. Dick no further crew details (Chorley Vol.6)

Thanks

john my thanks for that. I understand the orb's are difficult to read, a bad image from the microfiche!

Comment deleted - Ross

Paul H.
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 14th September 2011 at 17:56. Reason: Breach of forum policy on Lostbombers

Thanks

Default Just a little info

I am very sorry, but the orb's I have just been sent this week stop at March 10th would you believe... how infuriating... will try my sourse for some more..

War Diary of Pocklington states, ' One aircraft hit by flak losing fin, starboard rudder and jamming elevators. This aircraft crash landed at Manson and caught fire. The crew escaped un hurt.'

Sorry cant help more.