Thread: RAF Stations Operations Record Books

Thanks

Default RAF Stations Operations Record Books

Would any of you know if a station ORB would give details on aircraft accidents? From the aircraft movement card I know that Blenheim T2254 suffered 3 flying accidents in its career but the aircraft accident card did not survive (or got lost) and the squadron ORB's don't mention the accidents. I only have the details of the third accident because the Blenheim's observer wrote about it in a letter to his mum!

TIA for any input or suggestions.

Cheers,
    Walter

Thanks

Hi Walter,

from my own experience yes it is possible that the Station ORB contains notew about the accident BUT it depends on the type of accident. There are mostly mentioned serious accidents, mostly when someone got killed.
    Also sometimes the accident is mentioned in the ORB of the squadron based at the station.

I would say it always depends on who was writing the ORB... sometimes there are more events and details than you expect and sometimes there is nothing.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Walter,
    According to 'Air Britain Serials'
    Bristol Blenheim IV T2254 served with 40, 18 & 13 Squadrons.
    Shot down by Bf110 after night attack on Venlo, Aartselaar, Belgium, 26.6.1942

Chris

Thanks

Pavel,

Thanks for your input, guess it would be worthwhile to look into the relevant station ORB's then.

Chris,

Thanks for your info too. I've been researching this specific Blenheim for quite a few years now and had to find that most of the info ever published on its crash (not that there was that much published) was incomplete/incorrect.

40 Sqdn is correct but on paper only, she was re-allocated to 18 Sqdn I think on the same day so she was never actually on charge of 40 Sqdn. German documents found in the MRES casualty file indicate she was shot down by flak. No nightfighter involved (there was no matching claim to be found anyway).

By the way, you will find that most of the threads started by me on this great forum have to do with Blenheim T2254 in one way or other. The story isn't complete yet so I'm keeping on digging!

Thanks again & best rgds,

Walter

Thanks

Me again! Everytime one finds answers new questions turn up...

I in meantime found on the NA website that the ORB for RAF Odiham is in AIR 28/622 so that covers the 13 Sqdn period.

18 Sqdn, till early Sep 1940 was stationed at RAF West Raynham, ORB to be found in AIR 28/909, appendices in AIR 28/911. Then they moved to (Great) Massingham which I understand was a satelite airfield to W.Raynham. No reference to Massingham or Great Massingham is to be found on the NA website though.

Would the satelite airfields be covered by their main station's ORB?

Any further tips or suggestions more than welcome!

Cheers,
    Walter