Thread: Sqn Ldr J.G. West DFM RNZAF

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr J.G. West DFM RNZAF

Hi guys

Sqn Ldr Jeff West was attached to 103 MU at Aboukir in 1943, and claimed a recce Bf109G damaged on 13 August 1943, and one recce Bf109G destroyed on 24 August 1943.

Has anyone any information? Combat reports?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Default S/l j g west dfm rnzaf

Brian , from shores both volumes , June 43 he was posted to 103 MU at ABOUKIR , CLAIM MADE FOR BF 109 DAMAGED 13/8/43, IN SPITFIRE MKIX, NILE AREA 103 MU
    AND CLAIM ,MADE 24/8/43 FOR BF109G IN SPITFIRE MKIX ,OFF NORTH AFRICAN COAST 103 MU , SORRY THAT IS ALL I HAVE

PHILL JONES

Thanks

From Ventura Classic Warbirds number 7
    No 3 Maintenance Unit at Aboukir modified several Spitfire IX for the high altitude interceptor role to counter Junkers Ju 86P reconnaissance aircraft, with which Jeff West was involved. A number were stripped and repainted including EN399 and JK880.
    Can forward if you want.

Thanks

Hello Brian,

During August October 1943, F/Lt Jeff "Shorty" West commanded the 103 MU detachment sent to 94 squadron at Savoia with special high altitude Spitfire IXs, claiming a Bf109G damaged on August 12 and one shot down on August 24 as reported elsewhere. Sadly the 94 sqdn records do not have any combat reports attached for these claims.

Ian

Thanks

Hi Brian & co.

My name is James West. I am the grandson of the late Sqn Leader J.G West. Recently I came in contact with my grandfather's journals and am currently in the process of transcribing them. Please feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Hello James .

Thank you for posting on the forum , i have a few questions for you if you don't Mind ? My interest is in Single seat Fighter OTU's in the main, part of this research is compiling Biographical data on each pilot that i have in my files , are you able to tell me the following ? Please .

Was you Grandfather at 58 OTU (Grangemouth ) ? i have him here during Feb - March 41 ? if so then he would have been on Course 2 ? before moving off on posting to 616 Sqd .

I would like to correspond with you more on this Subject if you are willing ?

Hope to hear from you

BW Phill Jones

Thanks

Hi James West.

Your profile doesn't allow us to contact you, but I am interested in asking you if you have the logbook of J.G. West?

John Engelsted

Thanks

Hi Phill,

Apologies regarding the delay of this response. I have been busy transcribing my Grandfather's journal, and deciphering his handwriting, in fact I was not alerted that I had any replies and just came across this forum again by chance. I hope it isn't too late. You are welcome to contact me at jwest1980@gmail.com and I'll see if I can help you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Hi James West.

Your profile doesn't allow us to contact you, but I am interested in asking you if you have the logbook of J.G. West?

John Engelsted
    Hi John, apologies for the delayed response, I just got this message now - my father has the physical copies of Jeff's logbooks. His name is Don and you can contact him at the.wests@xtra.co.nz

Cheers