Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 107 Squadron Douglas Boston III raid 22nd October 1943 to Courcelles

Thanks

Default 107 Squadron Douglas Boston III raid 22nd October 1943 to Courcelles

Hi

I have been researching information for my mum about her brother (Clifford Rodham) who was, i believe a radio operator flying out of RAF Hartford Bridge (Blackbushe) in 1943 flight number BZ203 heading for Courcelles in belgium.

The specific flight, his last flight i am interested in was on the 22nd October 1943 the aircraft was shot down by AAA near Veere, Holland. I know the names of the crew P/O T. Hoeg 169064 MIA, Sgt C. Rodham 1033236 KIA, P/O N. Gardner 169214 KIA.

I have in from http://www.wingstovictory.nl/database/database_detail.php?wtv_id=339 and other web sites regarding the mission and crash but i was wondering if there are any web sites recommended as good starting point to retrieve info on such matters that people has found during there own searches. Also if you are the relatives of either of the other 2 men Gardner and Hoeg and have any info, pictures, letter or anything you would be willing to share with our families that would be fantactic.

I can be contacted through here or on gavinb21@hotmail.com and gavin.billington@baesystems.com.

Thanks to anyone who can help out

Gavin Billington

Thanks

Hi Gavin

AIR37/22 gives the aircraft code letter as G - George and the target as ZB903 - aero engine factory. 13 aircraft of Squadron up between 13:45 and 13:49 hrs.

Coast crossed near Den burg (sic) S of intended track. 4 of leading 6 a/c seen shot down by L.F. and collision.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Gavin,
    Target was an aircraft factory at Courcelles in Belgium. There were Flak claims from German Navy and Airforce. Crashed into the "Veerse Meer" between Aagtekerke and Veere - 15.20 hrs. P/O GARDNER's body was found washed ashore 15-11-1943 at Wolphaartsdijk; Sgt RODMAN's body was recovered from the sea near Veere.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated....

Would there be anything in the The National Archives (TNA) File copy service i spotted in the forums that would give me more info on the night or days leading upto the crash, I am looking for as much detailed info as i can get hold of....

Also i have searched for anything that would give me the german gun/flak positions in the islands as we know they were off course due to the navigation errors in the lead formation plane that took them directly into the line of fire...

Thanks

To find the "claimant" is not so easy. More aircraft were lost on this raid:
    BZ393 - crashed between Aagtekerke and Veere;
    BZ307 - light flak - crashed 5 km S of Elversele, 30 km NNE of Ghent, Belgium;
    BZ233 - crashed 2 km S of Kamperland, southpoint of the Noord-Beveland peninsula;
    BZ230 - collided with BZ233 and crashed into "Veerse Meer" about 600 metres off Veere harbour, and
    BZ234 - crashed along railway line Middelburg-Goes in the Jacobspolder near Arnemuiden.
    Claims came in from:
    6./810 Marineflak;
    4./847 Luftwaffeflak;
    5. and 8./202 M.A.A.;
    1,2 and 3.I.Abtlg(Mot)Luftwaffeflak (motorised), and
    ships of the Rhine Flotilla.
    I should say: make your choise !
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi,

For the day to day work of the squadron then the Operational Record Book at the TNA is the best source.

AIR 27/844

Here you will find details of all the previous operations that he undertook with the squadron.

For a wider view on the daylight ops of No.2 Group Web and printed books will help as will the Group ORBs at TNA.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Hi,

For the day to day work of the squadron then the Operational Record Book at the TNA is the best source.

AIR 27/844

Here you will find details of all the previous operations that he undertook with the squadron.
    How do i get hold of these can i get them through this forum ??

Thanks

For the ORBs then there are a few options:

1. Visit the TNA and view the AIR27 and other AIR documents in person. This way you can select the scope of any document copys you may want.

2. Employ a researcher to do actions in 1 above. (TNA staff is expensive but others are more reasonable)

3. Order a copy of the full ORBs via the Online Document Ordering Service at the TNA. AIR27 is a microfilm and is currently approx 20 for the reel covering the period Jan to Dec 1943. Other AIR documents are paper based and TNA will provide estimates. As with 2 above researchers are cheaper that TNA for paper documents but not for microfilm originals.

4. I can provide a copy AIR37/22 for a document copy fee of 0.10 per image (36.60) but suggest that before you do this you use AIR27 to find out the previous pilots names and the date range to see if a visit would be more economic.

I also suggest that you get a copy of his service record as all his previous training postings to units are also held at TNA archives.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

I have tried to do it online but i got lost and confussed i will either give it a go again later on or maybe ring them direct if i can......i am such a bun head :o)

Thanks

Nope,

Not you its one of the latest features from the TNA to make you very pleased when you eventually do manage to place and order!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordcopying/

I phoned today to be told they could not accept orders by phone only post and website...and the web site will probably be down uintil Wed..but could not confirm which week.

Ross