Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 751514 Sgt John Merifield, 30 Sqn, KIA 6th Nov 1940?

Thanks

Default 751514 Sgt John Merifield, 30 Sqn, KIA 6th Nov 1940?

Hello everyone

Can anyone offer any further details for the death of the above W/Op Air Gunner, killed over Albania on November 6th 1940?

He is buried in Phaleron War Cemetery, and was apparently given a full state burial as the first British airman casualty of the defence of Greece.

Many thanks.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,
    Killed on board of a Blenheim by an Italian CR42 after attacking airfield Valona, Albania. Blenheim (serial unknown to me) returned to base. Initially buried English Church at Athens, 7-11-1940; reinterred Phaleron War Cemetery.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Welting View Post
    Simon,
    Killed on board of a Blenheim by an Italian CR42 after attacking airfield Valona, Albania. Blenheim (serial unknown to me) returned to base. Initially buried English Church at Athens, 7-11-1940; reinterred Phaleron War Cemetery.
    Regards,
    Henk.
    Many thanks indeed Henk.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,

As my main subject of interest is 30 Sqn's Blenheim years I would be very interested in the reason why you are looking for this information.

Also, I can give you a good deal of further information on John Merifield if you require it.

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon

I'm interested in Sgt Merifield's story as one of my interests is local aviation history (North East England), and he was from West Hartlepool, County Durham.

I came across his story this morning quite by accident, whilst researching another local connection. I was immediately intrigued by the report that he received a full state burial. I just wanted to check if this was indeed true, and see if there was any further information available about his service with 30 Squadron. Obviously I'd be very interested in anything you may be able to tell me.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

He definitely received a state burial and there are photos of this on the IWM website collection and I have a couple in my collection.

In my paperwork at home I have a small write up, by a former 30 Sqn member who knew John, which gives details of the circumstances of his death. I also have contact details of John's relatives that I have spoken to.

If you drop me an email or PM I will get back to you this evening. Gota get back to doing some work now!!!!

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Thanks for the offer Simon, I'd be very interested to see the info you have. Apologies for dragging you away from work...!

I've sent you a PM.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon & Simon
    ..........and I would like to know the Blenheim serial on which he was fatally injured...
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi,

751514 Sgt Merifield enlisted in the RAFVR around June 1939. 751477 Sgt Mansfield (WOP/AG) enlisted 8-6-39 completed training and flew during the Battle of Britain. Sgt Merifield must have been posted abroad some time from the summer onwards ?

Also see Flight

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1940/1940%20-%203346.html?search=MERIFIELD

Mark
    Last edited by Marks; 23rd August 2011 at 16:20. Reason: Additions

Thanks

Henk,

Blenheim L8462 VT-X piloted by Sgt George Waddington Ratlidge

Regards,
    Simon