Thread: L. J. J. Judson (628 731/47 205) dfm dfc raf

Thanks

Default L. J. J. Judson (628 731/47 205) dfm dfc raf

Hi all,
    I would like to ask again for help with this airman.
    I was able to put together following info about him:

JUDSON Leo Joseph John 628 731 47 205 UK/RAF
    WOP instructor 311 Sq 09/40-??/?? 2 sorties, CGM 05/41, CPB,
    DFM ??? after 11/41???
    P/O 11/41, F/O 10/42,
    DFC 161 Sq 20.04.43,
    S/L 11/43

unfortunately I am still not able to find out following:

1) when he left 311 Sq? he moved directly to 161 Sq? Does anybody can check it in the ORB of 161 Sq?
    2) when he got the DFM - no luck in the LG
    3) is available citation to his DFC?

Any other details also appreciated.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel

From Ian Tavenderís book : The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War : -

Judson, Leo Joseph John 628731 Sergeant, No. 9 Sqn.
    L.G. 23/9/41. Sorties 47, Flying hours 236. Wireless Operator, Air2/8900

This NCO has an outstandingly good record as First Wireless Operator / Air Gunner over a long period. He has completed 47 major operations without failure. His steady determination and devotion to duty has been an example to his comrades. He was for some time attached to No. 311 (Czech) Squadron as an instructor during which time he carried out four operations with Czech crews. He is strongly recommended for recognition.

Remarks by Station Commander

This NCOís record of no less than 47 operational flights dates from the end of 1939 with a break of some six months in the middle of 1940 to the end of that year. His operational flights include three to Stavanger and to most of the well defended targets in Germany. His record is one that is undoubtedly deserving of the highest praise and I strongly recommend him for the DFM.

Remarks by AOC

This NCO has proved his ability both as a gunner and as a Wireless Operator and I have no hesitation in stating that his personal example is of exceptional value during the early period of operational effort by 311 Squadron.

As far as his DFC citation, unfortunately the Distinguished Flying Cross and how it was won 1918-1995 by Carter only records the following : -

Judson, Leo Joseph John DFM A/Fl. (47205) RAF 161 Sqn.
    London Gazette : 20/4/1943 : 1799

Regards

Douglas

Thanks

Douglas - many thanks for quick and the full-range answer.
    the DFM info is more important for me than the DFC.

Pavel

Thanks

JUDSON, Leo Joseph John, A/F/L, DFM (47205, Royal Air Force - No.161 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 20 April 1943. Citation from Air Ministry Bulletin 9917. Described as Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.

"Acting Flight Lieutenant Judson has filled the post of W/T Leader in three squadrons with great success and enthusiasm. While assisting in the formation of a Czecho-Slovakian squadron he did brilliant work in training wireless operators and finally accompanied them on six operational sorties. Acting Flight Lieutenant Judson has taken part in numerous hazardous daylight operations. His enthusiasm is a source of great encouragement to other members of his squadron."

Thanks

Many thanks Hugh!

Pavel

Thanks

Pavel,

I may be able to shed a little light on Leo Judson's career in 1941, from information gleaned from the pilots' operation reports for 138 Squadron. Judson had served with S/Ldr Charles Pickard and F/Sgt Bill Broadley in 311 (Czech) Sqn, and then No. 9 Sqn. By the summer of 1941 he was F/Sgt Judson, DFM. In summer 1941 S/Ldr Pickard was 'rested' by serving a stint on the staff at 3 Group HQ. This was at Exning House, less than two miles from RAF Newmarket Heath where 138 Squadron was based. I suspect that F/Sgts Broadley and Judson were similarly posted to 3 Group's Training Flight.

From early 1941 No. 138 Squadron's predecessor unit, No. 1419 Flight, had occasionally been forced to borrow pilots and aircrew for operations. Pickard flew on two 138 Squadron operations in August 1941: one as F/O Ron Hockey's 2nd Pilot on the first 138 Squadron operation, Operation TROMBONE on 29 August 1941, the other to fly one of three aircraft to Holland on the night of 31 August 1941 to drop cigarettes to the Dutch people to celebrate Queen Wilhelmina's birthday (noted by Ron Hockey in the Stradishall Ops log as 'Operation Smoking Concert').

Two other 3 Gp HQ officers flew on 138 Sqn operations as 'guest' crew: S/Ldr Stephens (OC 3 Group Training Flight and 3 Group Gunnery Officer) flew five 138 Sqn ops as rear-gunner, plus the cigarette-drop, and the Group Navigation Officer S/Ldr Alan Cousens (often mis-spelled Cousins in the reports) flew on three. All three appear to have been moonlighting, literally in these cases, from Exning.

It has been assumed that Pickard's navigator F/Sgt Bill Broadley was posted to 138 Squadron in August 1941. Broadley flew on four 138 Sqn operations (6 August, 11 & 30 September, and 10 October). His logbook (if extant) might clear it up. F/Sgt Judson flew on three 138 Sqn operations, all with Hockey as skipper:
    - 9 September, op. ESMOND/COLUMBUS, an unsuccessful attempt to drop SIS agent Thomas Sneum. S/Ldr Cousens flew on this trip as Navigator.
    - 30 September, op. LUCKYSHOT, with F/Sgt Broadley as Navigator. Both were listed as F/Sgt, DFM.
    - 10 October, op. PEAR, also with Broadley.

Any more info, please send me a PM.

Nick Livingstone

Thanks

Thank you Nick for interesting info.

Pavel

Thanks

Hello

I confirm the very interesting input of Nick. I recently compiled the tour of operations of the crew captained by S/L H.E. BUFTON (STICKLES - CRAMPTON - MURRAY - WRIGHT - READ), lost during the night 26/27 August 1941 in Wellington Ic W5703 WS-K*, and the missions flown by the plane.

Incidentally there was a recent thread about the Bufton crew on the board.

The crew captain by S/L P.C. PICKARD regularly flew that very Wellington, earlier on. in No. 9 Squadron O.R.B., PICKARD is noted as posted in from No. 311 Squadron on 14th May 1941 (only his name quoted, only officers' movements being recorded). The last mission I have for that crew is 6/7 August 1941. During this period, I have JUDSON flying as WOpAG of PICKARD on 18 ops, only one in late May 1941 (Pickard's first with the Squadron actually) flown with another WOpAG (and crewmembers).

* : Individual letter K is recorded on a few pages in the form 541 in May and June 1941, but I'd like to have confirmation from another source, like log-books entries.

Joss