Thread: J.A.Anderson 253 Sq Photo

Thanks

Default J.A.Anderson 253 Sq Photo

Hi-Does anyone have a photograph of J.A.Anderson who served in No.253 Squadron? Also is he mentioned in the book
    "Men of the Battle of Britain" Again this is to confirm his correct full name.Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,Philip

Thanks

Yes he is in Men OTBB as 187307 Sgt James Alexander Anderson. Joined 253 in Sept 1940 and shot down at Stone, Faversham on the 14th in combat with Me 109 s. Hurricane P3804. Member of Guinea Pig Club as result.
    No photo.

Thanks

Default J A Anderson picture

Gents,
    I have a small, poor quality picture of Anderson.
    As far as I am aware it is the only wartime image of him.
    It will be included in the new edition of MoTBoB due for release next year.
    contact me at gedburke3@yahoo.co.uk and I will send you it.
    I can't post it on this forum unfortunately.
    Cheers
    Gerry

Thanks

Default J A Anderson

Hi Gerry and Peter-that is brilliant,many thanks!

Regards,Philip

Thanks

Default J. A. Anderson V. A. J. Anderson

For your consideration . . .

I initially learned of Sgt. John Anthony Anderson when I met his daughter several years ago. In fact, she showed us his name as it is inscribed on The Battle of Britain London Monument. She also attended the last Guinea Pig Club reunion in 2007.

John Anthony (Andy) Anderson was shot down on 14 September, 1940 while flying Hurricane P3804 (correct aircraft - wrong pilot?). The relevant combat reports record “Sgt. Anderson” alas, no initials/names provided.

“Yellow 3 (Sgt. Kee) confirms that a Me. 109 a/c broke up and exploded in mid-air. Sgt. Dredge saw Hurricane pilot bale out and land safely in a field 4-5 miles west of Faversham, a/c crashing into corner of a wood.”

I believe there may be confusion here with a F/L A. J. Anderson who was attached to (detached) to “B” Flight 253 Squadron. I have a copy of a Combat Report dated 18.05.1940 signed off by F/L A. J. Anderson while attached (detached) to 253.

A. J. Anderson - might this not be James Alexander Anderson.

Tom Gleave wrote the following for inclusion in the Guinea Pigs Newsletter Spring 1979:

Please note paragraph #4.

JOHN ANTHONY ANDERSON

John Anderson, or “Andy” as he was affectionately known to his close friends, died on 28th May, 1978, aged 61 years.

He joined the Royal Air Force before World War II and transferred from a ground trade to flying in time to gain his wings by the Spring of 1940. Andy arrived in No. 253 Fighter Squadron at Kirton-in-Lindsay in early June, and on the 12th of the month I took him up in a Miles Master for a check prior to launching himself on a fighter pilot’s career in a Hawker Hurricane.

The Squadron had been given two old Battles for hack work and target practice, and one day one of them, burst into flames. An airman passenger in the rear gunner’s well was too shaken to jump and Andy, despite the flames, climbed along the fuselage trying to persuade the airman to jump and pull his rip cord. Unfortunately Andy was blown off by the slipstream and landed by parachute after suffering some burns. Meanwhile the airman had pulled his rip-cord while still in the well and miraculously was snatched clear by the open parachute, breaking a leg on the main plane but otherwise landing safely intact. Sadly this gallant action on Andy’s part did not come to light for a long time afterwards.

He remained in the Squadron for 67 days of the Battle of Britain, until 14th September. On the eve of what is now the “Battle of Britain”, and a fortnight after I myself had been shot down, Andy suffered the same fate and was severely injured including burns. He was taken to Faversham Hospital and ultimately arrived at the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, where he became a Guinea Pig.

Less than a year later when I arrived at Kenley to await a posting, and having found a Miles Magister fully serviceable, I climbed up the stairs to Flying Control to be met by Andy, by then a Flying Officer, In no time we were airborne again in the “Maggy” for Andy was also kicking his heels at Kenley.

Our paths did not cross again until the war was over, but meantime Andy had continued to defy the Fates. While ferrying an aircraft one day the engine blew up, and he got away with it. Yet again while flying some V.I.P.’s from Germany to the U.K. he had engine failure in an Anson when crossing the English Channel, and by making his passengers jettison their luggage Andy just made land - and no doubt with his strong sense of humour spared himself a chuckle at the V.I.P.’s expense in seeing their “luggage” vanish overboard.

Guinea Pig occasions brought us together again not least on one memorable evening at Biggin Hill Flairavia Flying Club Dinner/Dance, as David Porter’s guests at “The Grasshopper” nearby. Whenever and wherever it was the same Andy. He was a man of strong character who did not suffer fools gladly, yet was kind of heart and extremely loyal to his friends. He made light of his flying misfortunes, and in his final and fatal illness he showed great fortitude and patience. The Battle of Britain was won by people like Andy. To have commanded people like him makes one feel very humble.

To Celia, his widow, and to his family, all of whom meant so very much to Andy, we Guinea Pigs offer our most sincere sympathy in their irreparable loss.

Source: Guinea Pigs Newsletter Spring 1979

Saved: John Anthony Anderson - GP Newsletter

Regards

John Henderson

Thanks

Default 2 Anderson's

Hi John-What a reply! I did not want to mention the confusion on my original thread as there were 2 Anderson's.
    Which Anderson was the pilot of Fairey Battle L5110 on 3.8.1940 when along with LAC Desmond Ricks they both baled out near where I live when the engine caught fire.I certainly did not know of the Anson incident.I am sending an e-mail to you.

Regards,Philip