Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone and Tingley airfields, Algeria 1943

Thanks

Default Bone and Tingley airfields, Algeria 1943

232 Sqn moves to Bone airfield (Annaba), Algeria on 8 January 43. On 13 January they move to Tingley airfield. I have not been able to find a corresponding geographical location for this. Seems to be near Bone.

Does anyone have an idea?

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hello,

There was a recent discussion on a French discussion board about Bone's airfields :
    http://www.aerostories.org/~aeroforums/forumhist/aff.php?nummsg=42047

But I'm not able to tell whether Tingley was a satellite of Bone, or another name for a part of it. Bone airfields had code names, such as Tingley or Marylebone, according to that discussion.

Joss

Thanks

Merci Joss,
    I agree with you that the discussion is inconclusive on that point.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel

According to Jefford 'RAF Squadrons' Bone aerodrome was south east of Bone whereas Tingley was SW of Bone on a railway line to Jemappes aerodrome.

Thanks

Mikkel,
    If what John reports from Jefford is correct then look on GE at 36.857386N 07.717828E. There is a walled enclosure. At (more or less?!!) the same location (SW of Bone/Annaba) on FSX there is a cluster of aviation navaids. I can also "see" (in the archaeological soil/crop marks) what might have been a 'runway' 210/030 2170 feet, and another 280/100 1500 ft. They converge at the navaid point.
    Best bet so far?!!! Anybody got any better ideas?!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Mikkel,
    There's a parallel thread on this subject over on AiX.
    We seem to have (nearly!) located Tingley!
    I think I've found Jemappes (now Azzaba). There's a possible runway complex intersecting at 36.738827N 07.129735 on GE.
    But we await the pronouncements of the Runway Experts on AiX.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you. Mikkel

Thanks

Went through "Fighters over Tunisia" and the references to Tingley. Noted the following (quoting):

---

To the south-west of Bone American engineers of an Aero Construction Company had been working on the provision of a new, all-weather landing strip, the commanding officer of the construction unit being a Maj. Tinglet. Wg.Cdr. Hugo, commander 322 Wing, spoke of the new strip as 'Tingley aerodrome', and the name quickly stuck. (p 137)

In the course of the afternoon Wg.Cdr. Hugo landed the first Spitfire at the new Tingley strip and expressed his satisfaction with the new American tracking material which covered the ground. (p 140)

[11 Jan 1943] At Bone 232 and 243 Squadrons began preparing for the move to the Tingley airstrip, both units settling in here over the next two days. (p 144)

At Tingley airfield 243 Squadron left 322 Wing, flying to a new strip at Souk el Khemis, named Euston (after the London station) to join 324 Wing. (p 180)

There was a small amout of movement of units, 242 Squadron going to Marylebone, and 43 Squadron moving up to Tingley from Jemmapes. The headquarters of 242 Group moved to Thibar; the Group now [19 Apr 43] had seven new landing grounds available, all named after London railway stations. (p 328)

Bone, heavily damaged by repeated air attacks was replaces by a good landing ground called Tingley a short way to the south-west. This new airfield was constructed of PSP (pierced steel planking) which was undoubtedly the most effective medium off all, although costly heavy to transport and very noisy to use! Strangely, the enemy never discovered Tingley and continued to bomb the derelict aircraft on Bone airfield (p 430)

---

Bone seems to be the present Rabah Bitat Airport and Tingley seems to have been rather close to this; at least closer to Bone than to Azzaba.

Mikkel

Thanks

Default tingley airfield

I spoke to an ex 81 Sqn spitfire pilot Alan Peart DFC some years ago now, he had flown from Bone, Tingley, and Souk el Khemis. I asked him about the location of Tingley, he was quite vague about the exact location, but said that considering it was "just over the hill" from Bone it was a wonder the Germans never found it. Bone was heavily bombed and straffed.
    My conclusion is that it was quite close to Bone.
    I have also seen the original plans for Tingley at the PRO, in a wing ORB, cant remember which, and forgot to Photocopy it at the time.

Thanks

Default Bone and Tingley

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Mikkel,
    If what John reports from Jefford is correct then look on GE at 36.857386N 07.717828E. There is a walled enclosure. At (more or less?!!) the same location (SW of Bone/Annaba) on FSX there is a cluster of aviation navaids. I can also "see" (in the archaeological soil/crop marks) what might have been a 'runway' 210/030 2170 feet, and another 280/100 1500 ft. They converge at the navaid point.
    Best bet so far?!!! Anybody got any better ideas?!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Looking at the area, especially on the 2007 GE overlay, that does look like a runway and peritrack at the base, even after applying the "I see what I don't want to see" filter :)

There is another airfield 6.85 miles and SSW (HDG 239.79 Degrees) 3646'16.00"N 742'16.00"E of Bone Airfield , identified by the Luftwaffe as Bone-Bordj. I did have a reference for the location of Tingley as 3647'40.19"N 735'23.12"E . God alone knows where from, I didn't take notes at the time:( However, it is on the other side of a hill ,flat as the proverbial and 12.5 miles from Bone or approx 5 minutes flying time.

Tony