Thread: Tiree Operations Rooms

Thanks

Default Tiree Operations Rooms

I am just preparing for a visit to Tiree, loading NGR into my Sat Nav and GPS.

The RCAHMS don't have either of the two Operations Rooms/Block recorded. Also the Guide to RAF Tiree only mentions the one near entrance to the modern airport and marks it as "GR Operations Block". I think the other is the Fighter Operations Room in Actions Stations 7.

I wonder if someone can explain the "GR" in GR Operations Block and confirm the one at Baugh is the Fighter Operations Room so I can try and get them added to Canmore.

MB
    MB

Thanks

Given Tiree's history of Coastal Command operations, maybe GR = General Reconaissance?

Thanks

Default Raf tiree

With regard to RAF TIREE , AND 518 SQD who were operating from there during ww2 , i read on the internet that 518/tiree , is in the spotlight at the moment WITH a possible inclusion in the BBC COAST PROGRAMME , THE piece i saw it in mentions that the beeb are looking for information with regard to the weather flights that 518 sqd were flying
    phill jones

Thanks

Have to watch out for the next series of Coast.

I was looking this morning for the two DF stations on Tiree - there is reference in RAF Signals to various ones being closed and it says that the two on Tiree were kept operational.

I think I found one, shows nicely on the 1946 aerial photo with small building and four guyed masts around it. You can still see the footprint of the masts on the present day Google Earth.

Just got to find the other one now!

MB
    MB

Thanks

The Beeb have a guy who was a Met Air Observer on 518 Sqn at Tiree in WW2. He's going up for some filming in the next day, or so. They've also been given a fair number of other contacts (and data). If the ex-hurricane KATIA is nearby when they're filming then there will likely be thick cloud, v poor vis, and horizontal heavy rain - i.e. just like the weather when these guys were flying clapped-out Halibags on Met recces for real!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Have to keep my eyes open next week though only there for a couple of days.

MB
    MB

Thanks

There are a few sites dedacated to wartime Tiree. The link below has articles- search under "Tiree at war".
    http://www.aniodhlann.org.uk/index.cfm?method=home.home
    More Tiree articles:-
    www.coastalcommand206.com
    Then there is the community web site:-
    www.isleoftiree.com
    Canmore images and records of RAF Tiree.
    http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/search/?keyword=tiree%2Bairfield&submit=Search

Hope this of use,
    Alan.