Thread: 101 Sqn ABC Duty Lancs

Thanks

Default 101 Sqn ABC Duty Lancs

101 Sqn Lancs were commonly shot down.
    Is there a statistics page or the like which gives the number of these Lancs downed by fighters on a given night?
    Also, how many were common in a bomber stream during the early months of 1944?

Thanks

101 Sqn, operating their ABC Lancasters from Ludford Magna (if this is big Ludford, then little Ludford must be non-existant - quote from Ray Ollis: '101 Nights') had an establishment of 45 aircraft with a commensurate number of crews.

The best researched place must be Chorley, although of course that requires a trawl through the volumes but will probably answer most questions and also deal with the outcome for the crews involved.

'Bomber Command War Diaries' Middlebrook will give an overarching description of the various phases of the bomber offensive and will also detail the totals participating and losses by type.

The question 'how many in the stream' will come from the Form 541 and 540. The number required and their disposition within the stream was a matter of tactics and depended on the target, its distance, the number of main force aircraft, what the 100 Group sqns were doing that night, the weather and a dozen other parameters.

A brief history of 101 was written by a Chief Technician Alexander but it does not provide the sortie detail you require but does have a Roll of Honour in the one place.

By the way, my reference to: '101 Nights' won't help - it's a novel!!

Old Duffer

Thanks

Answers available from 101 Sq. offshoot from the 156 Sq. website.

Thanks

Thanks John and Old Duffer,

I had looked at 156 Sqn but when I tried to use the 101 Sqn link it seemed to bounce me back to 156 info. I've managed to get into the 101 Sqn Ops records this time. It does not give me the exact stats but I can figure out the general numbers from looking at the ops logs.