Thread: ORBs for 5 (P)AFU and 1 ACRS

Thanks

Default ORBs for 5 (P)AFU and 1 ACRS

Dear all,

Does anyone have any experience of the ORBs for 5 (P)AFU (AIR 29/556) and 1 ACRS (AIR 29/587)? If so, do they mention aircrew by name?

I am asking as I will be searching for information on a night-flying crash at 5 (P)AFU and possible subsequent attendance on "The Naughty Boys' Course" and wanted to see if I was likely to find anything, having only a name and estimated date range but not a specific date or aircraft.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks

The No.5 (P)AFU ORB does include names of people involved in accidents. Doubt there will be anything from an ACRS due to the number of personnel passing through.

What is the name and date range?
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks Al,

The name is Sgt R C Beaumont - I received some letters recently which cover a blank spot in his service records between returning from the Arnold Scheme (12 Sep 42) and being posted to 263 Squadron (02 Mar 43). He writes from the Lion Mansion Hotel, Brighton, about having 8 weeks at Brighton and being grounded for 3 weeks after a night flying crash where the aircraft was written off, "lucky to be alive" with cuts and bruises. He also writes of his disappointment at missing a posting to a Spitfire squadron which arrived a few days after the accident, and his gratitude for a positive report on abilities as a pilot and NCO from "The C.O. at Calverly".

There is mention of being taken off "the discipline course" and transferred to 'A' Flight (Of what?), and a return to 5 (P)AFU at the end of his time in Brighton. The most notorious "discipline course" at Brighton was of course 1 Aircrew Refresher School, a.k.a. "Prunes" a.k.a. "The Naughty Boys' Course", but I am guessing in the absence of any further information. If he was at 1 ACRS, what was he doing living in a hotel?

From the letter, I am assuming it is just before Christmas; I see your website mentions a Miles Master crash, W8455, which was written off at King Sterndale on 12 Oct 42 - could he be a likely culprit?

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks

I've had a look through what I've got from the ORB and the 1180s for Masters that I have and no mention of Beaumont. W8455 was being flown by Albert John Flower when it crashed at King Sterndale.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks again, Al, I shall explore with interest!

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks

Hi Jeff, all that I can add is that Sgt Robert Charles Beaumont (1301714) was on intake No 28 at Tern Hill, 2nd October 1942. Coincidentally, I have just been looking at another airman who was on intake 28 and underwent his training at the satellite airfield at Calveley in Cheshire. This is backed up by your mention of a report mentioning the 'CO at Calverly (sic)'.

Having researched all crashes in Shropshire I have not come across his name. I'd say that you will have to look at the 1180's and you'll likely find that he was injured in a crash in Cheshire.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

A belated thanks, Tom, I've had a lot on recently.

I spent a rather fruitless Saturday at TNA to find that there is chapter and verse on trainees up to 1940/41 (even full summaries of individuals' course results!) but very little after that other than intake lists. Crashes are generally only listed if fatal, so as you suggest I will have to hit DoRIS for the 1180s and hope for the best; if he didn't prang a Master, I think I'm probably stuck.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks

Default Success!

I thought I'd dredge this one up to fill in the aircraft details for future reference - it's amazing what you can find on this site!

I had a very successful trip to DoRIS a few weeks ago, and a good yak with the friendly staffmember who helped me.

10 Nov 42 - 5(P)AFU, Calverley
    Miles Master III W8784
    1301714 Sgt R.C. Beaumont
    Time: 2025
    Duty: Flying Training (Night, Dark)
    "Landed U/C retracted - pilot forgot. O/C Carelessness. Stn/C Concur, Pilot charged, reprimanded - log book endorsed and sent to Brighton for refresher course"

So, the classic "rick" after all! Something else caught my eye, though, which I will reproduce here:-

10 Nov 42 - 5(P)AFU, Calverley
    Miles Master III W8818
    1317864 A.W.J. Colwell "Pupil"
    Time: 2030
    Duty: Training (Night, Dark)
    "A/C landed U/C retracted. Pilot forgot to lower u/c. O/C Pupil pilot disconcerted by going round again. Recc. log book endorsement and visit to R. Course Brighton. Stn/Cmdr Concurs."

Two in 5 minutes - can you imagine the Instructors' faces! At least Bob had some company in Brighton.

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks

Could the naughty boys mentioned above be:

Albert William James COLWELL 32 killed 7 Apr 44 as a F/Sgt

and

Robert Charles BEAUMONT 22 killed 18 Aug 44 as a F/O?

Both are buried in UK according to the CWGC registers

By the way, I don't think either Master W8818 or W8784 were written off as a consequence of the accidents recorded.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

Yes, that's 169061 (1301714) F/O Robert Charles Beaumont, killed 18 Aug 44 at Piddletrenthide, Dorset, flying Typhoon JP664. Colwell I don't know about.

I also took the F78's while I was there and neither aircraft has an entry on those dates, suggesting they were repaired on-site.

Regards,

Jeff